Your opinion... Best Places for Marine Life to Dive in S. Pacific?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wadeNC

Registered
Reaction score
I know this is a loaded question, and I'd expect multiple answers.... but I'll ask if anyway.

Of all the places in the South Pacific, which has the best diversity and density of reef life?

Phillipines? PNG? Micronesia? Fiji? Somewhere else?

I'm planning a "dive getaway" for when I graduate from Grad School and would like to start planning for that 'once in a lifetime 3 week trip' and will likely include a couple of locations.

Thanks!

Wade

By far Micronesia has the best diversity of overall marine life.The only place that even compares would be Papua.I lived in this area for over 12 yrs.I'd be happy to talk to you about it in more detail if you want.
954 557 6919

There is a large triangle that reaches from just above Australia in the Coral Sea up to Micronesia (PNG and Solomons included) and east to Indonesia and from what I've been told this area holds the greatest diviersity as well as the most marine life. This is according to Jack and Sue Drahfl who have been traveling in the triangle quite a bit.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Thanks for the responses. I've gathered talking with others that just north of PNG is one of the best sites (lower Indonesia), although its tough to travel to. Since this would mostly be liveaboard, I would like to hit an area with the most diverse habitat structures as well (unlike some places where its all wall or all drift diving).

Thanks for the offer to chat rocdiver... I'll keep this post marked so when planning reaches that stage I'll look you up again.

Wade

caymaniac:
There is a large triangle that reaches from just above Australia in the Coral Sea

yep the triangle.

Bali is without a doubt the best most accessable entry point to the triangle, I lived there for a while and it is one of the most stunning islands in the world above and below the water, and you really dont have to much further than that. It makes the carribean look like a naff quarry in indiana.

I agree that my time, topside, in Bali was wonderful to the max. But the diving.....? Well, it was OK but not nearly as good as PNG. The north shore, Mangangan Island was quite good and Lombongan Island on the south was also good. But I would still pick PNG on diving alone. If you like topside touristing, however, PNG is a poor second to Bali.

I have asked this question, and most divers have replied Palau. Some believe it is Truk (Chuuk). A few have said Bikini. Not sure, but I suppose Bikini is the only one actually located in the "south pacific."

If you go to Fiji, try and get an outfit that will take you drift diving. The currents are quite strong, and many of the dive boats tie up to the reefs, which makes for strenous diving, which is not always fun.

In theory, Indonesia would have the greatest biodiversity. The Wallace Line http://www.radford.edu/~swoodwar/CLASSES/GEOG235/zoogeog/walline.html is a theoretical line that marks the boundary between the Asian and Australian zoogeographical regions. It cuts through the middle of the Indonesian archipelago between Bali and Lombok and Borneo and Sulawesi. This area is to the west of PNG. According to scientists, this is the area of greatest biodiversity in the all the oceans. This is theory only. I haven't yet had the chance to go there--though I'm only two weeks away. In trying to decide whether to go to PNG or Indonesia, I decided on PNG because it is far less populated and reefs have had less fishing pressure than those in Indonesia. Reports I've gotten from other divers confirm that Indonesia is great for macro but not as good for larger life. The Solomons are also supposed to be wonderful. From what I've heard, as good as it is, Micronesia doesn't really compare to the PNG or the Solomons.

I too have thought about it for a while and will be traveling to PNG next year to confirm the greatest area of biodiversity. I have not been to Indonesia. I have however been to the Coral Sea, out to Osprey reef and have been impressed. Before this, the greatest area of diversity I saw was in the Red Sea out of Egypt. We are looking forward to Star Dancer, I have booked cabin #2., and we are staying at Walindi for a few days after.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

The South Pacific tag is used, often mistakenly, to refer to many of the islands that actually lie in the Western (and Northern, as in North of the equator) Pacific, such as Micronesia. Bikini atoll is in the Marshall Islands, north of the equator. But I think most people would agree that some white-sand beach tropical island floating on an impossibly blue sea would qualify as a South Pacific dream island, no matter where it is in the Pacific Ocean.

One place I wouldn't recommend for diving is the Cook Islands. They had a coral die-off there several years ago b/c of El Nino warming, and it's still recovering.

Palau is wonderful for the big stuff, but can't beat the macro life of Indonesia or the southern Philippines, in my experience. Haven't been to PNG or the Solomons, but everything I've read about those places put them on the top of my to-do list.

Back
Top Bottom