Spring mask strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
In the article, Doing It Right Gear Configuration by George Irvine, GI says, “Fins straps and mask straps should be replaced with springs and stretch material that will not rot and break on a dive.”
Well, I use spring straps on my fins, but my question is, has anyone ever made or used a spring strap for your mask? Why wouldn’t this be a good idea?

Rick Inman:
In the article, Doing It Right Gear Configuration by George Irvine, GI says, “Fins straps and mask straps should be replaced with springs and stretch material that will not rot and break on a dive.”
Well, I use spring straps on my fins, but my question is, has anyone ever made or used a spring strap for your mask? Why wouldn’t this be a good idea?

You would not want a spring on your mask, as you don't want, nor need, it to fit tightly. I believe he was referring to the stretch material for masks.
DIR also advocates carrying a spare mask.

And, don't take everything Trey says to heart :wink:

MD

Try a neoprene strap on mask. Won't break, adjusted once to fit properly. I think this is pretty much what's accepted. A spring would roll right down the back of your head. Probably wouldn't bee to comfy either.

Considering that a rotaing spring is the active part of the Epi-Lady (or some other "bladeless" leg shaver), I wouldn't want to subject my remaining hair to that torture.

-Rob

rab:
Considering that a rotaing spring is the active part of the Epi-Lady (or some other "bladeless" leg shaver), I wouldn't want to subject my remaining hair to that torture.

-Rob
Good call! That's what came to my mind when I started reading this thread.

I have a friend that tried out an EpiLady on his forearm when he was a teenager. Boy, what a story he tells...

3dent:

I have a friend that tried out an EpiLady on his forearm when he was a teenager. Boy, what a story he tells...

My father had his arm snagged in passing by one left running in a display stand at a department store - I had never seen him act like that or use those words before!

rab:

-Rob
3dent:

cowprintrabbit:
My father had his arm snagged in passing by one left running in a display stand at a department store - I had never seen him act like that or use those words before!

My, my. How quickly a thread can deteriorate! :D
I DO wear a hood, BTW, and the springs on spring straps are inside plastic tubes. However, MechDiver's comments are well taken.
The rest of you may return to your bikini cuts... :wink:

Back
Top Bottom