Whats the best mask for People with facial hair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lpressley

Registered
Reaction score
I have used various masks. I have not used a purge mask. has anyone had any experience with a mask they like?
I have also been told that some people use vasoline to help seal.

lpressley:
I have used various masks. I have not used a purge mask. has anyone had any experience with a mask they like?

...spit to help form a seal around my mustache. Basically my mask leaks a little bit on 2 out of 10 dives. Price for wanting a mustache I guess. Perhaps another mask would help but it's not that bad.

--Matt

You can try mustache wax as well. I've always had masks that leak, but thats probably because I have smile wrinkles from both eyes, a mustache, and well.. I laugh as much underwater as I do on the suface.. just a part of the game.

Some folks shave their mustache just a little under the nose to allow for a better seal.

I just started using vasoline on the stache, and I rarely get any water in my mask now. Before I used it, I had enough water during every dive to impare visibility unless I was looking up.

Brian

lpressley:
Just shop around and find one that fits. I've found one that works great so just try one after another.

You might have to give up the fashion statement but who are you going to impress anyway. Fish don't care what you wear. Go for the fit first then fashion.

Purge valves are OK but can be a problem at times so it's best to stay away if you can.

Gary D.

Personally had outstanding sucess with a Seavision Shadow. Very low volume and seals well against my facial hair. On some dives I've have not had to clear my mask at all.

I use the x-vision by Mares. I really like the mask, but it does leak around my mustache. Some days it leaks worse then others. I have noticed the further up on my face the mask is located, the better it seals.

The masks all seam to fit nice in the store, but wear different in the water.

My DH was told never to use vasoline on his mask as it will deteriorate the skirting. He uses some silicone on his mustache and it seals the mask perfectly.

My Dacor mask has been great, but the model is discontinued.

MSilvia:
My Dacor mask has been great, but the model is discontinued.
Maybe not.

I thought a mask I have used by MARES was kaput but all they did was scrap one name for another. Go to the catalogs and look at the pics. They may still have it under another name.

Sales get slow with a model they dump it, re-name it and re-introduce it as a new model. Smart marketing but IMHO a nasty practice.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom