where to dive in Oregon?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

No place close to Mt Hood, but you might check to see if anyone is diving Crater Lake. You are talking dry suit diving or at least a 7MM. As Oregon waters are cold even in the summer time. Crater Lake is beautiful as is Mt Hood. You might check to see if anyone drift dives the Sandy River. It is near by. I don't know if they dive in the Columbia River or not due to the currents and ship traffic. They dive the Oregon Coast at Newport and also Tacoma, Washington has a great beach dive site for seeing the giant octipus(sp) that live there.

Have Fun.

Zuzanne

Thanks for your reply, I hear that crater lake is awesome but you need the status of aow to dive it, which I don't have.
-=ben
zuzanne:
No place close to Mt Hood, but you might check to see if anyone is diving Crater Lake. You are talking dry suit diving or at least a 7MM. As Oregon waters are cold even in the summer time. Crater Lake is beautiful as is Mt Hood. You might check to see if anyone drift dives the Sandy River. It is near by. I don't know if they dive in the Columbia River or not due to the currents and ship traffic. They dive the Oregon Coast at Newport and also Tacoma, Washington has a great beach dive site for seeing the giant octipus(sp) that live there.

Have Fun.

Zuzanne

Clear Lake is worth a dive or two (prepare for thermal issues, tho).

Bedrocks SP for a freshwater dip...

I always enjoyed Florence jetty braille dives for crabs.

Coos Bay has a few sites, but we did them from a zodiac...

:ice: Amazing how small the world is.LOL Hubby & I certified in Coos Bay. The water in December at Shore Acres was 42 degrees when we did our open water dives. I had never been so cold. Thank goodness we now live in South Florida where its warm. and :sunny

Zuzanne

Sure is a small world, my wife and I are getting certified right now with SSI here in Coos Bay. Sunset sports is the store. Cape Arago is supposed to be a good dive also Sunset beach.
Jer

zuzanne:
:ice: Amazing how small the world is.LOL Hubby & I certified in Coos Bay. The water in December at Shore Acres was 42 degrees when we did our open water dives. I had never been so cold. Thank goodness we now live in South Florida where its warm. and :sunny

Zuzanne

REALLY SMALL- Thats the shop we certified thru. Our instructor is no longer there, he moved to Washington State the year after we certified. We did our AOW here in South Florida and switched to PADI. My hubby then went ahead and became a PADI open water instructor. He works for Dixie Divers here in Florida. Does Cheryl and John still own the shop? Good luck on your OW Certs.

Zuzanne

Cheryl and John do still own the shop. Out of curiosity why did you switch to PADI? I have been under the impression that SSI is great cert to have. Well I cant wait to start my open water dives. I have purchased all my gear and am ready to go.
Jer

zuzanne:
REALLY SMALL- Thats the shop we certified thru. Our instructor is no longer there, he moved to Washington State the year after we certified. We did our AOW here in South Florida and switched to PADI. My hubby then went ahead and became a PADI open water instructor. He works for Dixie Divers here in Florida. Does Cheryl and John still own the shop? Good luck on your OW Certs.

Zuzanne

We switched to PADI because they were better known around the world than SSI at that time. Since hubby was going into the Instructor/Tech Repair field and PADI had more affiliated shops worldwide than SSI we made the switch. We got certified in 1994.

Just to give you a better feeling for PADI and what they offer, check out their website at www.padi.com or you might take a drive up to Eugene and check out Eugene Scuba/Skin Divers. They used to be on SW 6th ST I believe. We ended up buying most of our equipment from them as they had better prices and more options than in North Bend. They also have a repair shop on site or used to where John & Cheryl had to send it out for repair & maintenance. John & Cheryl are really nice people, and at that time they were and I guess still are the only game in town.

There used to be a PADI Shop in Newport just under the Bridge. It was a real small shop but the guy who ran it was great. He really knew his stuff. He was the only person that knew right off the bat why I was having so much trouble with my finning ability. (I kicked but did not go anywhere) He had me try some different fins that were smaller and had a better fit for a ladies foot and body size. The difference was amazing.

Just Curious what do you do and what section of Coos Bay/North Bend do you live in? My hubby greew up there and We still have friends in the area.

Good Luck on the Certs. You will love diving, its definately a great habit to have.

Zuzanne

You should check the LDS in either portland or Salem for a place to dive in oregon. They do a great drift dive east of salem. There are several lakes. You can travel to the coast either Newport or Tillamook both have good diving. There are local dive shops at both places that can help you.

Back
Top Bottom