BC Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyTop

Registered
Reaction score
What type BC do most of you use when spear fishing. I am considering a back inflate but wanted to see if there were any reasons not to wear one when fishing.

thanks

RockyTop:
What type BC do most of you use when spear fishing. I am considering a back inflate but wanted to see if there were any reasons not to wear one when fishing.

thanks

I wear one that fits and that I'm comfortable with. There's no reason to deviate from those 2 requirements. -Clay

There is some overlap between the requirements of freedivers and bubble divers. That is, that the vest must be short enough or otherwise configured so that the abdominal area is free and unobstructed. This allows placement of the gun butt against the gut without slipping or fraying the vest. For free divers (who use a vest) I recommend the Navy UDT vest. For tank divers there is a wider selection but the abdominal area must not be covered by the BC. In addition, the spearo must have free access to his belt, knife and stringer.

louisianadiver:
I wear one that fits and that I'm comfortable with. There's no reason to deviate from those 2 requirements. -Clay

pescador - what your saying is the less to be in the way the better. If thats the case, your echoing my thoughts 110% about my choice to work on migrating myself to a DiveRite with a Trekwing for my choice of BC. Aside from taking into consideration some future training, I like not having anything in front of me other than necessary gear as well as the added benefit of a very well fitting peice of equipment.

Since I've added spearing to my diving is when I started taking notice of the fit of my equipment more thus I started really paying attention to what others are wearing and tried things on at the shop. Just my 2 psi :D

i had already pretty much decided on the scubapro knighthawk. just wanted to make sure there was a reason not to get a BI that i was not aware of.

RockyTop,
Your choice for the Scubapro Knighthawk will suit you well. In reality, I don't think it makes any difference which type of BC you use for underwater hunting. Bottom line, as long as it fits, is comfortable, and has enough D-rings to suit your needs, whichever BC you choose will be fine.

Personally, I use a back inflation BC (Dive-rite transpac), but have used others in the past.

Good hunting!

I use a Scubapro SuperHawk (Men's size small), with the back wings. Works great. The only down-side I've ever had is a lean-back requirement when you're on the surface for a while.....has plenty of D-rings, pockets, etc....

Why does a spearo need D rings? Exactly how are these used? How does an object hanging from the torso affect gun handling and possible entanglement in a shooting line hooked up to a 100 pound fish?

MB104:
RockyTop,
Your choice for the Scubapro Knighthawk will suit you well. In reality, I don't think it makes any difference which type of BC you use for underwater hunting. Bottom line, as long as it fits, is comfortable, and has enough D-rings to suit your needs, whichever BC you choose will be fine.

Personally, I use a back inflation BC (Dive-rite transpac), but have used others in the past.

Good hunting!

Most fish that are shot on scuba are less than 100 lbs....no floats are used. The D-rings attach everything from lights (for looking under ledges), to stringers (to keep fish), to safety sausages (when surfacing), to dive-flag lines....I've gotten my stringer caught up on rocks on occasion - but am still working on figuring out exactly where it suits my hunting best....

Back
Top Bottom