Recovery at Little River

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divesherpa

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Another very inexperienced northern cave diver was pulled out of Little River yesterday. This is the first death of the year in cave country. I'll add more info tonight after getting the report

Originally posted by USAF Diver
Terrible news. I've never been there but I thought Little River was a "novice" cave dive.
A "novice" cave dive is sorta' like a "small" hurricane, or "minor" brain surgery.
Rick

The incident at Little River wasn't a body recovery. I was informed today that the individual had a seizure in the Florida Room, spit out his reg, and had to be drug out by his buddy. It sounds like he was alive when he hit the surface because he was medivacced to Shands Hospital in Gainesville. He did not survive.

Being from up north and having some friends down there diving. Any body have any further information as who it was? TIA
Ken

I heard about this yesterday when I was at Blue Grotto. The people their had said the name of the person, but I do not remember. I will ask one of my buddies if they remember the name.

The guy who didn't make it was in the dive ambulance.

A word of caution:

Verify the name seven ways before posting it. Anyone remember the two scooter divers, one who died in March of 2000 in Little River? I was the one who died, or at least EE thought so for about a day.

I was diving out of EE that week and as usual rumor travels faster than accuracy. The guy who walked into EE and told them about it didn't exactly remember the name, made a few guesses and it sounded remotely like "Oakey" (very remotely). Someone at EE asked, "Was it Oakey?" and the guy said, "Yhea, that's it" and left.

Explanations were required to bring me up to speed when I walked into EE and someone from across the store shouted "Boy are we glad to see you!"

Roak

Originally posted by roakey
I was the one who died,
Too bad you didn't know about it sooner... the possibilities are nearly endless! :)
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom