Are there any Andrea Doria dreamers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TRUETEXAN

Contributor
Reaction score
I was just wondering if any of our board members had dove the Doria, and if so what was it like?

Also, how many of you share my dream of wanting to dive the Doria??

It's cold dark and deep with the possiblility of high currents. It's pretty much a normal deep northeast wreck dive. The scary part is the 100 mile boat ride out and back.
1.Cold- water temps on the wreck are usually in the 40's
2.Viz- varies greatly and sometimes day to day. The day I was there it was about 40-50ft at 180'
3 Deep- 240 to the bottom the side was about 180 but I understand the wreck has collapsed some and it could be deeper now.
4 Currents- can be nothing or can be very strong. After one dive and deco(sharks like to hang with you) I was wondering if I would have enough strength left to climb the ladder.
5 The boat ride out and back and in rough seas can be a whole new experience. Better than any roller coaster rides at 6 Flags.
If you plan on doing it I would highly recommend making a few trips to NJ/NY and getting used to the conditions closer to shore on deeper wrecks before venturing out there. Help is not close by if there is a problem out there. Trimix certification and lots of deep experience are required. If your going only for the china buy it from someone who has it for sale,It will be far cheaper and safer than getting it yourself. Get the training and get the experience, I hope your dream comes true ....mine did....I am planning on going back in July.
Ken

Thanks for the response Ken, I am sure your Doria trip is something you are very proud of, I know I would be!

The Doria is just another wreck, albeit a very big wreck. If she were in better water, it would be a much more impressive dive. We did it last summer, including a night dive. It was cold (46), dark, and vis was perhaps 20 feet. It was always foggy or overcast, so it was dark on the bottom. We played around a lot in the debris field at 240fsw. She has fallen apart a lot and penetration inside is a lot different that 10 years ago. Anyway, a lot of hype but still a fun dive. Not the Mt. Everest though...

Cheers,
Mike

I"m not interested, but thought this might interest you, in another thread by Rick L Pictures There are a number of pics of various trips to the Doria.

I was very interested.
After some research, I thought hmmmmm, $10,000 for equipment, $10,000 for Training, And who knows how much $ for charters to get the experience needed to do the dives. I don't think so!
I'm a newbie with 51 logged dives and I'm 45 years old. I might get to be in better shape, but I won't be getting any younger, and my income isn't likely to triple in the near future.

The Doria??? Possible but not likely!!! :wink:

It's great to hear from others who have been there!

Hi divinggal did you like that site?
You have to respect the diving that women is doing i do anyways!!! The dorea is just the cream!!
lots of other great wrecks there!!!!
Rick L

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom