Depth Capability of the Nikonos V

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jjoeldm

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm wondering what the real depth capability of the Nikonos V is? I have read elsewhere that a well-maintained housing should withstand 1.5 times its rated depth pressure. I would guess that the Nikonos should be in the same boat, so to speak. It's rated to 160', so is it good to 200'? 240'?

I'm not worried about a warranty, just implosions and extruded O-rings and a flooded camera. : )

JoeL

Joe, you might give Devon at Subaquatic Camera Repair a call. I recall this came up in conversation while I was in their shop getting a control gland replaced about two months ago.

For the life of me I can't remember the exact number; I want to say 210 fsw, but then 240 seems familiar too. Anyway, they had tested a bunch to failure. I remember the conversation because he said they all failed within a foot or two of each other, indicating great manufacturing tolerances.

Sorry I can't remember! The guys at Subaquatic are very nice, give them a call. They do all our annual maintenence on our Nikonos equipment and our housings. Incredible work.

All the best, James

jjoeldm:
I'm wondering what the real depth capability of the Nikonos V is? I have read elsewhere that a well-maintained housing should withstand 1.5 times its rated depth pressure. I would guess that the Nikonos should be in the same boat, so to speak. It's rated to 160', so is it good to 200'? 240'?

I'm not worried about a warranty, just implosions and extruded O-rings and a flooded camera. : )

JoeL

I have had my Nik V to 300 feet, but the problem is not that the camera will not take the pressure, the film will not advance. So you only get one shot.

It starts jambing up around 220 feet.

fdog:
Joe, you might give Devon at Subaquatic Camera Repair a call. I recall this came up in conversation while I was in their shop getting a control gland replaced about two months ago.

For the life of me I can't remember the exact number; I want to say 210 fsw, but then 240 seems familiar too. Anyway, they had tested a bunch to failure. I remember the conversation because he said they all failed within a foot or two of each other, indicating great manufacturing tolerances.

Sorry I can't remember! The guys at Subaquatic are very nice, give them a call. They do all our annual maintenence on our Nikonos equipment and our housings. Incredible work.

All the best, James

Thanks I will call them. I could use a good service center. And thanks for the reply!

JoeL

Curt Bowen:
I have had my Nik V to 300 feet, but the problem is not that the camera will not take the pressure, the film will not advance. So you only get one shot.

It starts jambing up around 220 feet.

Curt,

That was my impression. That implosion was less of an issue than being able to work the controls. Thanks for he heads-up.

It shouldn't be an issue. The max depth where I'm headed is around 200'. That's my concern, that it will continue to work at 200' or less. I've had mine to 180', but no deeper.

This is a great forum, BTW, I've asked two questions in the last couple of days and got good answers from knowledgeable people within hours. Outstanding!

JoeL

Back
Top Bottom