Little. Yellow. Different. Rubber. (mystery retro fin...)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Speaking of classic fins...

I'd like to figure out, once and for all, what those yellow full foot fins were that all the scuba-photo models used to wear in those old Skin Diver magazines in the '80s. I wanna say that they were some kind of old Cressi-Sub. Does anbody know??

Not that I'd have any use for them, of course...just longtime curiosity...

cheers,

Billy S.

>yellow full foot fins were that all the scuba-photo models used to wear<

Now, if it was the 1960s, the fins would probably have been Hydromatic Champions where the toes as well as the heels were enclosed. See:

http://www.vintagescubasupply.com/yellowfin.jpg

In the 1970s the basic Cressi Rondine fin came in black, light blue and yellow versions.

If the decade was the 1980s, then chances are the fins were Rondine L or Rondine X-Rubber. There are pictures of black versions of these models at

http://higedura.cool.ne.jp/longfin4.html

Like Scubapro, the Cressi company continued producing a line of rubber swim fins to complement their plastic range.

>Not that I'd have any use for them, of course...just longtime curiosity...<

Nothing wrong with classic rubber full-foot fins. I grew up with them and they are the perfect accessory for the kind of leisurely snorkelling I do these days. They don't need "formers" to stay in shape, the foot and the blades don't split apart and they don't warp. And unlike what the old diving manuals say, rubber fins don't have to be black to give long service.

If you're looking for good, all-rubber fins with retro looks, a Japanese company called Gull makes some nice ones.

www.gull-msc.co.jp

>If you're looking for good, all-rubber fins with retro looks, a Japanese company called Gull makes some nice ones.<

Indeed. I'd love to get hold of some extra-large Gull "Mew" fins in white, or maybe a pair of their new "Warp" fins. There's a great range of colours available. I live in the UK and I've emailed several Japanese outlets hoping to order some Gull fins, but I've never received a reply to any of my messages.

David Wilson:
Indeed. I'd love to get hold of some extra-large Gull "Mew" fins in white, or maybe a pair of their new "Warp" fins. There's a great range of colours available. I live in the UK and I've emailed several Japanese outlets hoping to order some Gull fins, but I've never received a reply to any of my messages.

This is a long shot but you could try Northern Diver (tel: 01257 254444) www.diveshop.co.uk - I noticed that they sell Mantis Full Face Masks (made by Gull) so maybe they have some dealings with Gull and can help you out.

David Wilson:
>If you're looking for good, all-rubber fins with retro looks, a Japanese company called Gull makes some nice ones.<

Yup Sure Dude, i'm living in Hong Kong, also got no reply from them as i would like to get the Mantis Black stiff

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom