Flooded YS-25DX strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tnt2020

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone know if these can be repaired or where the best place to buy a replacemet new or used? I flooded mine last week in the Caymans. Only bad thing in an otherwise great week of diving.

Tim

tnt2020:
Does anyone know if these can be repaired or where the best place to buy a replacemet new or used? I flooded mine last week in the Caymans. Only bad thing in an otherwise great week of diving.

Tim

Not sure what the situation is for you but I hope you will be lucky: I flooded my YS90 DX last year and brought it to the Sea & Sea dealer in Singapore; only the battery compartment was affected (not the rest of the electronics) and they did repair it for me... It's been working fine since

If you only flooded the battery compartment (sealed off from the rest of the strobe?) you should be able to save it if you had already rinsed it in fresh water as soon as possible after the flood. Then spray WD40 inside and let it soak the metal contacts for awhile. Wipe it out well then blow it out with air. It should be okay so long as the the internal components were not toasted.

Do what Gilligan said. The S&S strobes are designed so that only the battery compartment will flood....under nornal use. the important thing any time a battery compartment floods is to get the batteries out immediately and rinse with fresh water. And always keep those contacts clean. I periodically rub an eraser over mine.

Flooded mine in Bonaire on the surface I noticed I had not closed the battery cover correctly. Lifted the strobe out of the water drained out the water and closed correctly. Dove with it but did not turn it on. After the dive rinsed with my bottle of drinking water, stopped and bought some alcohol and rinsed it out real good then put the hair dryer to it. Got home filled it up with corrosion-X and let it sit for three days. You know that thing still works, for how much longer I do not know. But it is now a backup to the new INON180 which I should have bought in the first place.

Gilligan:
If you only flooded the battery compartment (sealed off from the rest of the strobe?) you should be able to save it if you had already rinsed it in fresh water as soon as possible after the flood. Then spray WD40 inside and let it soak the metal contacts for awhile. Wipe it out well then blow it out with air. It should be okay so long as the the internal components were not toasted.

The battery compartment didn't seem to be isolated from the rest of the strobe. Water was every where even though the battery compartmet is what opened on accent. I did rinse the housing as soon as I could with fresh water, but nothing is working. It looked like there is an opening on the side of the battery compartment that allows water into the rest of the strobe housing. Thanks for all of your imput.

Tim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom