any one know of housing for a Sony mini DV camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divebunnie

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I have a Sony DCR-PC9E mini DV video camera, and having discovered underwater still photography earlier this year, would love to take things a little further and use my video camera undewater.
However I did buy the camera around 3 years ago, so am guessing that the housing may be out of production. If anyone knows otherwise, or has the housing and are considering selling, I would love to hear from you.
:10:

I use a Backscatter Top Dawg made by Light & Motion. It works with the Sony TR and TRV series so it might work with your camera. Check out the Backscatter (Monterey) site to see.

Dr. Bill

With a Sony you usually have quite a selection available.

In addition to Dr Bill's suggestion (which I just saw used with great results on the Nekton Rorqual), you might want to check out some of the following as well...

Undesea Video Housings..USVH (I currently use this)
Amphibico
Ikelite
Ocean Images
Gates
Yellow Jacket (I just found this one yesterday)

You may also want to take a look on...

http://www.digitaldiver.net/index.php

http://www.wetpixel.com/

for more assistance.

Good luck and enjoy,

Jeff

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the quick responses!!

I had a look at the sites you suggested however found a Uk based one which may be of interest to any budding videographers or photographers over here:

http://www.camerasunderwater.co.uk/video/oceanhaus/index.html

They have exactly the housing I am looking for. Have you guys heard anything about this brand especially regarding quality etc? I must admit, I am a little concerned that small may not actually mean better.

I guess now I need to get saving my pennies!

I've actually heard very good things about Oceanhaus. The only bad thing that I've heard fairly consistently is that it is not stable underwater (camera shake) due to it's small profile. I have never used one myself so I can't really tell you if that is a real issue or not....but hey, you can't beat the paint job!

DiveBunnie- Just a caution here on any housing that is dedicated to a specific camera model. Keep in mind that if your camera model is discontinued, and a substitute that works with your housing cannot be found, you "lose" both the camera and the housing when the former fails.

That is one reason I like the Top Dawg. It is not dedicated to a specific camera model. You can use almost any Sony TR or TRV and the newer Canons. I can put all three of my Sony camcorders in the housing without adjusting a thing. Of courswe there are trade0offs in terms of features that must be made to achieve that flexibility.

Dr. Bill

In order to reduce the chances that you will get a new camera and it won't fit, I went to an Equinox Housing. It has mechanical controls (no electronics to corrode etc) and can be adjusted, either by you or the factory to fit another camera. Monitor back is available if needed etc.

They are priced right and I have used mine for over three years with no probelms what so ever.

URL is

Eqiunox Housings

Back
Top Bottom