Going to the BVI's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

artsprite

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm going to the BVI's in the end of April. I'm a newbie and this will be my first opportunity to dive in the Caribbean. Does anyone have any ideas about the best places for a beginner to dive, or any places I should stay away from? Thanks, any info is appreciated.

Patty: I dove in the BVI's last June 2001. I used www.baskininthesun while in Tortola and www.DiveBVI while in Virgin Gorda.
Are you going to both places?
Be sure to dive the wreck the Rhone. It was the one used in the movie The Deep.
I'm pretty sure DocV has a whole cut and paste he can put on here from one of the articles he has written about this in the past.
He'll be along shortly ...

:wink:

Thanks Natasha, I'll be both places, but I don't think I'll be on Tortola long enough to dive there. I already knew that about the wreck of the Rhone, but I had heard that it is crowded because one end is shallow enough for snorkelers. I'll be on a Windjammer cruise, so I'll be going to several islands. I think there will be opportunities to dive every day (5), but I won't have the energy for that many.

Originally posted by artsprite
I'm going to the BVI's in the end of April. I'm a newbie and this will be my first opportunity to dive in the Caribbean. Does anyone have any ideas about the best places for a beginner to dive, or any places I should stay away from? Thanks, any info is appreciated.

In a week of diving there several years ago, I didn't encounter any dive sites that were very challenging in terms of depth, current, surge, etc. Enjoy yourself; expect nice diving there!

I've been to the BVI about ten times, first on sailing trips, more recently on sail/dive.

The Rhone is a definite hit. In my experience most of the snorklers are in a party with divers and there aren't many.

The Indians, northwest of The Bight on Norman Island is another "don't miss." It's not challenging (only about 30'), but there is a passage to a sheltered area in the middle that is warmer than the surrounding area (sun on the sandy bottom) and clogged with fish. Eat at the William Thornton anchored in The Bight.

There are half-a-dozen good spots around the Dogs, a cluster of small islands between Virgin Gorda and Tortola.

Try to get a break at Marina Cay between Tortola, Beef Island, and the Caminoes. Beautiful place.

I've never done a Windjammer, hope it works for you. Our next bareboat (Moorings/Underwater Safaris) is August 2002.

dave-man

thanks dave man. I hope you have a good time in August, too.

Hi
Have a great time in the BVI! I think Windjammer still uses Blue water divers for rendevous diving. The last few times I've been on the Rhone we were the only boat there, but we tend to pick times when the dive boats aren't there. Friday is the worst day, all the ops from St.Thomas are there. If you see a Light Blue Trimaran named Opus give us a wave. Maybe we will see you at the willie T.

I don't know what day we'll be there, but I'll watch for you. Maybe I'll take your picture with me. I'm assuming Willie T's is the bar I've heard about on that island. I imagine I'll find my way there.

Patty,
My husband and I got married on the Flying Cloud (or as we call it here the Frying Crowd). That was 12 years ago. I believe Captain Adrean is still there. Let me know what week you will be here. I have wanted to have an excuse to visit the boat and say Hi to him. He gave me away. My husband might say he got the better deal. Well happy diving.
Michelle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom