Potato Salad

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Potato salad recipes run the gambit from “really great” to “really gross”. I don’t have any great recipes for potato salad. Mine is just mediocre.

So since it is summertime let’s hear it from the potato salad chefs. Give us your best.

We made one as a group effort in college, and I wish I knew everything that went into it. I've never had anything better. Other than the potatoes and some mayo, it had bacon, vinegar, mustard, frozen peas, green onions, celery, chopped hard boiled eggs and that's where I lost track...I don't think it can be recreated, but I keep trying.

Most of my life, I never liked potato salad because it tasted like anything BUT potatoes. Then I met a lady whose ps I just loved, and have claimed her recipe as my own. Many OTHER people who never liked potato salad like MY potato salad. There are two variations that I make.

Potato Salad #1 (original)

5 lb bag of red potatoes, peeled, diced and boiled
10 hard boiled eggs, VERY FINELY CHOPPED and peeled
Hellman's mayonnaise
1 small to medium onion, VERY FINELY CHOPPED - VIDALIA if you can find them
salt
pepper

That's it. Now the important part, if you didn't catch it above, is to VERY FINELY CHOP the eggs and onion. In fact, I have one of those twisty-grater things that I run my eggs through. They come out more like shreds instead of chopped. You don't want big pieces of egg or onion. Just use enough mayo to hold it together easily. Salt/pepper to taste. Other important things are to use HELLMAN's mayo, no other brand, and be sure to use RED potatoes. I'm not usually picky about brands, in fact I buy most of my groceries at Aldi, but when it comes to my potato salad I splurge on Hellman's.

Potato Salad #2

5 lb bag of red potatoes, diced and boiled - leave peeling on
Hellman's mayonnaise
1/2 small onion, VERY FINELY CHOPPED - VIDALIA if you can find them
green onion tops, chopped
bacon, fried crispy and crumbled
dab of dijon mustard, JUST A DAB like a tablespoon or two
salt
pepper

Lora

BluOrchid2:
Potato Salad #2

5 lb bag of red potatoes, diced and boiled - leave peeling on
Hellman's mayonnaise
1/2 small onion, VERY FINELY CHOPPED - VIDALIA if you can find them
green onion tops, chopped
bacon, fried crispy and crumbled
dab of dijon mustard, JUST A DAB like a tablespoon or two
salt
pepperLora

This one sounds good - I'll have to try it.

Here in Hawaii, when you have potato salad at a family potluck, more likely than not it has either tuna or crab in it, along with green peas. I prefer the tuna - the crab is just a little too subtle tasting for me.

I lived for years in North Carolina and Texas - and never found anyone that tried their potato salad that way. It was one of the first things I had to have once I returned home.

As far as really gross - my sister once was assigned to make the potato salad for a day at the beach. She included all the important things (tuna and peas) - but included a critical extra ingredient responsible for the grossness - fresh cilantro. I like cilantro fine - but not in my potato salad. She sure had a lot of leftover salad to take home that day.

Back
Top Bottom