Visting Oahu in mid-Aug. for biz. want to hit the best spots while there...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beir

Contributor
Reaction score
As the subject reads - I am going to be in Oahu in the middle of August for business and I’d like to hit a few of the “best” (I know this is subjective) dive spots on my down time. My time will be fairly limited so I want to make the best of it.

I have been to Oahu before and here’s where I’ve done so far…
1.) The Sea Tiger
2.) 3 Tables near the North Shore (Day & Night)
3.) Blow Hole
4.) Turtle Canyon
5.) Port Lock

There’s a slim chance I may have time to head over to Kona as well. Some of the top spots there would be welcome as also.

Finally, I enjoy wrecks, though I’m not wreck certified, so I won’t be penetrating any of them. Also, good spots for photography would be welcome.

TIA,
Matt

On Oahu, I would recommend checking out the Corsair and Kahala Barge two great wreck dives, on the southwest side of the island. The Mahi on the west coast is a great dive too.

Matt, you might want to check out our Insider Information. I have some pictures of the wrecks in my gallery.
Sadly the Mahi is falling apart, if you want to see some of it you better hurry.

Aloha,
Lisa

Cool, thanks for the info. I'll definetly make an effort to see the Mahi then.

And I have heard the corsair is cool too. Thanks.

justleesa:
Matt, you might want to check out our Insider Information. I have some pictures of the wrecks in my gallery.
Sadly the Mahi is falling apart, if you want to see some of it you better hurry.

Aloha,
Lisa

beir:
As the subject reads - I am going to be in Oahu in the middle of August for business and I’d like to hit a few of the “best” (I know this is subjective) dive spots on my down time. My time will be fairly limited so I want to make the best of it.

I have been to Oahu before and here’s where I’ve done so far…
1.) The Sea Tiger
2.) 3 Tables near the North Shore (Day & Night)
3.) Blow Hole
4.) Turtle Canyon
5.) Port Lock

TIA,
Matt

Matt,

Just back from Oahu yesterday. Dove the Mahi wreck on the west side of the island as part of a two tank boat dive with Ocean Concepts (www.oceanconcepts.com, 808-677-7975) last Friday. They dive here three or four times a week. They pick you up at hotels in Waikiki and the Marriott resort at Ko Olina and transport you to their boat site in Waianae if this is of any help (or you can just join the group there at the Waianae harbor). The boat is large and can take 27 from what I understand although there were only 12 of us last Friday. It was one dive master per six divers which seemed a bit crowded when everyone was trying to see the things the DM was pointing out. They had lunch for us on the boat and set up all equipment, loaded it on and off the boat (I can do it, but boy it was nice to be waited on!).

The Mahi was my first big time wreck so I can't comment of course on its condition, it seemed good to me! Lots of reef fish, eagle rays, etc. Maximum depth was 85 feet. Pretty good current down there swimming around on top of the wreck! The second shallower dive was at the Makaha Caverns also on the west shore. I liked this one also and saw lots of turtles, eels, and of course reef fish. Did some reef swim throughs, etc.

You mentioned Three Tables on the North Shore. Have you considered the shore dive site almost right next door, Sharks Cove? We did a two tank dive there last week also and a night dive there last Saturday night. It would probably be similar to Three Tables, but I am not sure. I think Sharks Cove may be more extensive. Lots of caverns, lava tube swim throughs, etc. Tons of turtles, several eels, no sharks! :) Diving here would qualify as shallow diving I guess, my max depth for all three dives at Sharks Cove was only 43 feet (avg about 25 feet).

We had a guide for our three shore dives at Sharks Cove from Deep Ecology which is based out of Haleiwa on the North Shore (www.deepecologyhawaii.com or 800-578-3992, local 808-637-7946). They also do boat dives with 6 people maximum on the boat. They only take the boat the North Shore dive sites in the summer and do the west coast dives like the Mahi during the winter when North Shore is not divable. We had two different dive masters, both named Steve! They were great, we had extensive pre-dive briefings on ecology, marine life, etc. We met at the shop in Haleiwa and they transported us for the daytime dives approximately ten minutes to Sharks Cove. For the night dive we met the guide there.

I highly recommend Deep Ecology as they were much cheaper and willing to work to accommodate our schedules as much as possible (of course there was no free lunch, no pickup at hotel, no set up of our gear unless we asked). The customer service from their owner Pat was magnificent. Ask for her if you call!

They also gave us a discount for multiple dives with them. The ratio of divers to DM was more reasonable too, we had two dives with a total of four divers and one with just three. We weren't able to take advantage of any of their boat dives but they report that they go out and scout out new dive sites off the North Shore and often dive whether other boats either don't know about or don't go. One site was called Car Wash and is supposedly a turtle clearning station and the other was called Atlantis. Wish we hadn't run out of time and could have tried these also.

Hope this is helpful. Haven't been to the big island yet.

Lauren

Lauren,

I remember our DM/guide talking about Sharks Cove now that you mention it. I'll have to check that out.

Is there a night dive for manta rays? I've heard there was a place around Oahu to do it...

Thanks for all of the information you guys. I do appreciate it, and I'm looking forward to my trip :)

--Matt

Manta Ray Night Dive is on the Big Island....I've only seen 1 since I've been here...but we do have lots of eagle rays.

I've been diving the Mahi for 3 years now, it was my first wreck dive and I love diving it. When I first dove it, you could still swim thru some parts, it still had the main cabin and the side wasn't caved in. Each winter takes its toll. If you watch closely you will see whats left on top move back and forth with the surge. When originally sunk it was facing towards shore (I think...) and a strom turned it 180 degrees around!

The Mahi is my favorite wreck dive on Oahu - too bad it's been a while since I've been able to do it. Sometimes the current out there can be pretty swift, but when everything works together - no current, great vis - it's an awesome dive.

Shark's Cove is a good dive, but I prefer Three Tables - mainly because I'm lazy. :wink: There's a bit of a hike from the entry/exit back to your car - whereas at Three Tables it's just across the beach. Besides, if I'm going to topple, I'd rather do it on sand than on rocks.

Consider diving Firehouse, also - it's right between Three Tables and Shark's Cove.

[beir

If you still wont to dive let me know and I will go with you, just let me know.

Back
Top Bottom