utila or roatan?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey kids, I know this could draw quite a debate, but I need some guidance from experienced travellers and divers because I hope to invest in building up my dive training to the assistant instructor level at least.

Therefore, which island offers professional, personal, well-operated dive training facilaties at an affordable price and in a semi-remote location. I am not into huge, luxury americanized resorts.

I did my past dive training on Koh Tao in Thailand, and blissfully enjoyed this type of laid-back beach life atmosphere.

I hope for something similiar.

One last note, can any dive masters out there give me an idea of the income you recieve for your work. What is the job availability like?

Ok, that's a lot to ask, but any bit of advice is gratefully appreciated!

Cheers Mates :wink:

If you are looking for great diving at great prices with laid back beach life then Utila is definitely for you. It is a backpacker island with a great atmosphere. Look at Deep Blue Divers for your extra training a 5 star IDC Centre with an excellent reputation.

I also did my DM in Koh Tao, loved the place and the lifestyle is what made me pursue a career in the dive industry. After Koh Tao I went to Roatan to do my IDC and had never heard of Utila at that point, until I was told what a great place it was to dive. That was back in 1998, since then I have spent a lot more time on this island working in the dive industry and now oversee professional dive training programs at one of the PADI CDC's on the island.

The training on this island is at a great standard regardless of which school you choose, some have their differences in management but the standard is generally the same high quality with the emphasis on real world application. Most dive schools offer specialized activities, with videography, photography, nitrox, trimix, DPV's, rebreather and Gas Blending programs available.

The island life is laid back and their is a good social relationship between the professionals that work in the local dive industry. As a DM don't expect paid work, you'll need to be at least an Assistant Instructor and then you'll rely more on Instructors to hire you than dive facilities, though if you're in a well reputable and referred facility you can make an income to cover your living expenses. You really need to be an Instructor on the island to make good money and be able to save enough to finance the next trip.

The diving is a bit more diverse than Koh Tao, with deep walls, seamounts, fringing reef, wreck diving, visibility is good all year around.

Let me know if you have specific questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

Maybe see you one day on this beautiful island!

Andy

adeysangelfish:
Hey kids, I know this could draw quite a debate, but I need some guidance from experienced travellers and divers because I hope to invest in building up my dive training to the assistant instructor level at least.

Therefore, which island offers professional, personal, well-operated dive training facilaties at an affordable price and in a semi-remote location. I am not into huge, luxury americanized resorts.

I did my past dive training on Koh Tao in Thailand, and blissfully enjoyed this type of laid-back beach life atmosphere.

One last note, can any dive masters out there give me an idea of the income you recieve for your work. What is the job availability like?

Hi

I totally agree with GoProHonduras utila is a stunning place with a really great life style, i came here a few years ago and stayed and i now have some instructors working for me that also did a lot of diving and taught in Koh Tao, now they say they prefer Utila ......... come and see Utila you will love it, above and below the water.

adeysangelfish:

Go to Utila!!

Check out the operations. Talk with Steve and Andy (Deep Blue & UDC) Also talk with Tex at Ecomarine/Gunter's. You won't go wrong

Regards,

Interseting debate

Someone once said there is an island out there for everyone and I think this may be the case here.

Andy is correct to say you will not get any work as a DM on Utila.You will need to be an AI at the very least.Utila is more basic than Koh Tao.The diving can be great but is limited.

A for saying one is better than the other???I have worked on both islands and can say that they both have attractions.One thing many people say who do go to Utila after a stint on Koh Tao is that they expected a bit more,whether it be services,diving,food,activities etc.Some can't get enough,some can't wait to get out.This is something I think both places have in common.

Enjoy Utila and post your thoughts here so we can compare notes.Say hello to Steve in Deep Blue for me and Jungle Jim at BICD.

Dark Side:
Interseting debate

Someone once said there is an island out there for everyone and I think this may be the case here.

Andy is correct to say you will not get any work as a DM on Utila.You will need to be an AI at the very least.Utila is more basic than Koh Tao.The diving can be great but is limited.

A for saying one is better than the other???I have worked on both islands and can say that they both have attractions.One thing many people say who do go to Utila after a stint on Koh Tao is that they expected a bit more,whether it be services,diving,food,activities etc.Some can't get enough,some can't wait to get out.This is something I think both places have in common.

Enjoy Utila and post your thoughts here so we can compare notes.Say hello to Steve in Deep Blue for me and Jungle Jim at BICD.

Dark Side,

Thanks for the advice but maybe you should sharpen your senses, this post is from 2004, I think the OP may now be on their way to Course Director by now!!!

I'm off to Appleby's to enjoy the world cup!

Warmest regards,
Andy

DeepBlueDivers:
Andy ................Appleby's !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Whats wrong with CoCo's

Imported beers, air conditioning and maybe, just maybe bar girls with big smiles and even bigger 'widescreen TV's', OK so I'm not going there for the TV's!!!!!!!!

Actually just got back from La Ceiba and hear that Andre from Mango Inn has been giving out free pizzas, and Andre from Treetanic, has been giving out free drinks, here's to the Italians!!!!!!

Regards,
Andy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom