Snorkel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rna

Reaction score
Is there a thread here that explains how exactly a snorkel works? I did a search on snorkel but didn't find results I wanted. Till this day I don't know how this simple device works, so give a hand to the newbie please.

rna:
Is there a thread here that explains how exactly a snorkel works? I did a search on snorkel but didn't find results I wanted. Till this day I don't know how this simple device works, so give a hand to the newbie please.
1 - place mouthpiece end in mouth
2 - place face in water
3 - leave other end sticking out of the water (behind your head)
4 - breathe in
5 - breath out
6 - repeat 4 & 5 as necessary

Lesson 2 (using simple valveless snorkel):
1. With snorkel in mouth, dip head under water till tube fills with water.
2. Raise head back to surface.
3. Blow sharply to clear water out of snorkel.
4. Next inhale should be slow and steady. It's possible there will still be water in the curve but the air will bubble through.
5. Repeat steps 3 & 4 until tube is clear of water then revert to step 6 of Lesson 1.

To be continued...

Actually there is a legitimate question here and, sarcasm aside, there is a bit of physics behind why a snorkel is like it is. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel explaining it because Fizziology is already very well explained HERE. :D

Does this help explain the what you want to know, rna?

CBulla:
Actually there is a legitimate question here and, sarcasm aside, there is a bit of physics behind why a snorkel is like it is. I'm not going to reinvent the wheel explaining it because Fizziology is already very well explained HERE. :D

I learned something from it.
Thanks Colin

Fred

CBulla:

Nice site CBulla! Its written simple enough so that even someone like ME can understand it. I added it to my favorites.

There is a compromise involved in tube diameter. A larger air will allow more airflow with less restriction, but the internal volume of the snorkel is another dead airspace (along with your mouth and throat) that you have to overcome to move air in and out of your lungs. So too small a tube diameter increases breathing resistance while too large a tube diameter negatively impacts efficiency in getting oxygen to your lungs and in getting carbon dioxide out of your lungs.

Snorkle lenght also effects the volume of the snorkel so a longer snorkel will also have more dead air space to overcome. Pressure effects aside, longer snorkels would not be practical as the longer the snorkel, the less efficient it would be until you reach the ultimate lenght where your lungs lack the volume to move any useful amount of air through the tube.

Welcome to the board.
Snorkels are simple. to clear one you get to back to your 5th grade juvenile deliquent days...pretend you are thry to shoot a spit ball at your buddy from across the room when the teacher's back is turned. :eyebrow:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom