Snorkel Kits --- Where?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xeon

Reaction score
We are going on another cruise and I would like to get a snorkel set for both my wife and I. The rentals we have used just don't excite me. First of all, are there any good online sites I could look at to buy a set? I could google up a site, but I want some recommendations from people that know where to go. I don't want or need anything over the top. From some reading I think we would like a set from US Divers which from what I've read is economical and for snorkeling is hard to beat.
Thanks,

Dave

Try:
Leisurepro.com
Diverssupply.com
Scubatoys.com
diversdiscount.com

xeon:
We are going on another cruise and I would like to get a snorkel set for both my wife and I. The rentals we have used just don't excite me. First of all, are there any good online sites I could look at to buy a set? I could google up a site, but I want some recommendations from people that know where to go. I don't want or need anything over the top. From some reading I think we would like a set from US Divers which from what I've read is economical and for snorkeling is hard to beat.
Thanks,

Dave

Big 5 sporting goods carries US Diver, but you didn't fill out your profile so we don't even know if you are in the U.S.A.
My snorkeling gear is US Diver and it works fine.

xeon:
Thanks,

Dave

I buy a lot of stuff on-line but masks and fins are the things I wouldn't. The reason is that the number one most important thing about a mask is the fit. You just have to try it on, put it on your face with no strap and try and shake it off. It just depends on the shape and size of your face which mask is best for you. Then after you find the three or four that fit well select based on features. But to select a mask based on features or price is just plain backwards. No one here can tell you which mask will fit best and I'd bet a six pack that you and your wife should have different masks. Slim change the same would be best for both of you

Fins need to fit too. Are you geting the kind with open heals that you wear over booties? I'd strongly suggest those as well as the kind of booties with very thick soles so you can walk on rocks. Only get the full foot kind if you will be diving in both warm water and from a boat or sandy beach.

Do buy the cheapest snorkle you can find. None of those "features" are worth anything and the built-in mask strap clip is the #1 cause of lost snorkles. Use the silicone double loop snorkle keeper.

I use mares "quatro" fins but I just demoed a pair of "volos" in a pool. Man what a differance. I still don't know which is best but I could feel a huge and noticable difference after just 1/2 a pool lenght. So all fins are not alike, not close. The difference is NOT subtle. You've got to try them

If you are buying your own stuff because you want "quality" expect to pay for it. The reason those rentals are poor it because they are cheap. It's easy to spend $225 a a decent set of mask, fins, bootie, snorkle or 15% to 20% less at a discount on-line place. The money you save on-line is not worth the likely chance of not getting what is really the best equipment for you.

Thanks for the links, there are some items that look promising. There is one problem with finding a local dive shop to try on some goodies though, there are none that I know of. Not too strange considering we are in the mountains. We will be snorkeling in the Carribean and Mexican Riviera area btw.

xeon:
Thanks for the links, there are some items that look promising. There is one problem with finding a local dive shop to try on some goodies though, there are none that I know of. Not too strange considering we are in the mountains. We will be snorkeling in the Carribean and Mexican Riviera area btw.

You'd be surprized. There are a bunch of divers in Virginia. Some of them dive in lakes. Check out the Scubaboard "mid atlantic diver's" forum and ask about any dive shops in your area. Likely there is one not to far. http://www.scubaboard.com/f59.html

But everything you will read and anyone you ask will tell you that
"fit" is the number one criteria for mask selection. Only after "fit" can you concider other features.

With fins you know your shoe size and you can decide if you want the power of a paddle fin or something very loose and easy on the legs and ankles like a "volo". and then buy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom