Ft Myers report -

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CBulla

~..facebook conch..~
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
Wanted to drop a quick report about diving offshore today -

Vis: 40' visibility in 65' of water.
Temp: 96 on the surface, 87 in the water, 84 through a thermocline at 55'.
Current: Almost none to speak of.
Fish - Snapper were abundant on the hard bottom around School Bus artificial reef. A small school of Grouper was present, but all were to small to take.

:D

Thanks Bulla, for that report. Was that the hunt of choice or were you a captive, so to speak? I have a lot of questions about Ft Myers and SW Florida. I was thinking of moving to the Punta Gorda area. Are there still fish to be speared off Boca Grande or is that reserved to those who have the 'secret' numbers? What does the bottom look like, any reefs? How is the real estate market around there? How would you rate crime overall?
TIA
Pesky

CBulla:

Fish - Snapper were abundant on the hard bottom around School Bus artificial reef. A small school of Grouper was present, but all were to small to take.

Wow,

I would have thought less with all the rains and winds we've had these past weeks. Anyway, Great report on the UW Fishing. My next purchase will have to be a Spear Gun, I still have a B-day and X-mas to look forward to this year :eyebrow:

Water may be OK in Venice tomorrow (Sun.) for Ann's group....I still may go up there!

Wildbill:cop_2:

CBulla:

Good report..... but we all want to know.... where's the boat?.... and how do we get on it?

I can see it now, I'll be wiping the drool from Darrel's mouth when he reads this one....

Sounds like a nice dive, we're heading out to "look" tomorrow out of WPB, hopefully it will be as nice.

Pesky - We're slowly making our way around the known artificial reef sites. School bus is 13 miles off shore roughly straight out from Boca Grande Pass. The areas in and around Boca Grande Pass are some I'm a bit shy about due to the amount of apex predators that are year round residents. Having done 4 dives there, I can tell you the bottom structure and ledges are absolutely incredible. :D

Yale, James - Drop a note to Novafury.. I'm sure he wouldn't mind some more divers going out with us - so far, I'm the only one spearing... he's the shark bait. :)

Thanks for the info Colin,
It really sounds like a great time out that far offshore.

About the only thing left that I need to get for my bag of goodies is that elusive Spear Gun. What is everyone's recommendations. On second thought I don't want to hyjack Colin's thread........I'll post over in the equiptment section.

Wildbill:cop_2:

I dont mind sharing my recommendation - I use an AB Biller 42 with some bands that are a bit heavier than the stock originals. I still use the rockpoint tip (and have a spare JBL backup point in the box on the boat. I'd have a 48, but my shoulder is telling me its just happy enough with the 42 that anything more will create discomfort and pain, and we don't want that :D

I will second the note by Colin, it was a awsome day even broke out my mini sub camera so Kris could see what was down there from topside. you know something to keep the boat/bubble watcher occupied.

The more the merryer.... anyone is welcome to tag along as long as your luggage doesn't include the fridge from the kitchen. I have basicly unlimited room in the back and storage in the cabin to store the gear. but keep in mind the more extra gear ya bring the harder it is to get back into the boat LOL.

I try and go out every other weekend as Colin can attest to that is what I plan on doing if we aren't diving someplace else. just let me know if anyone wants to join us first come first served.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom