Q for the Jet Set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sauga

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay. I went out and got my Jet Fins, installed the obligatory homemade spring straps (the McMaster springs DO really work well!) and I’m becoming accommodated to them. I do, however, have a couple of questions which I would call more academic than anything else.

First off, according to their literature, SP changed Jets to their current configuration in or around 1982 to supposedly make them lighter. These can be distinguished by the lightening bolt on the post 1982, and lack there-of on the pre 1982 (which I have). How much lighter? Is there an improvement or is it a “looks nice on paper” change?

Second, did they change the sizing of the foot pockets at that time? I’m using the XL version with size 9 molded sole boots. I have to say they are a rather tight fit. I’m sure a softer soled boot would fit differently, but just curious if there was a change.

I'll go back into my shell now... :hm:

sauga:
Okay. I went out and got my Jet Fins, installed the obligatory homemade spring straps (the McMaster springs DO really work well!) and I’m becoming accommodated to them. I do, however, have a couple of questions which I would call more academic than anything else.

First off, according to their literature, SP changed Jets to their current configuration in or around 1982 to supposedly make them lighter. These can be distinguished by the lightening bolt on the post 1982, and lack there-of on the pre 1982 (which I have). How much lighter? Is there an improvement or is it a “looks nice on paper” change?

Second, did they change the sizing of the foot pockets at that time? I’m using the XL version with size 9 molded sole boots. I have to say they are a rather tight fit. I’m sure a softer soled boot would fit differently, but just curious if there was a change.

I'll go back into my shell now... :hm:

Sauga,

I can't address your first question but I also noticed the "tight fit" when I first changed over to jet fins. I don't know about a change in pocket size but I can pass on to you that after a couple quick sprays of food grade silicon in the foot pockets and now my size 12 hard soled boots slide easily in and out of the foot pocket on my XL jets.

My jets are pre 82 and are very large in the pocket. My 13 dd's need a solid boot to fit.

Hey Mike, Would you be willing to measure the inside dimensions of your "pre-82" Jet fins for me? I've started a running tally of different foot pocket sizes in the Jets/similar type fins. I'd like to add yours to this list for future inquiries folks have on this frequent issue. The XL was too small for me with a soft size 12 boot.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?threadid=66957&s= was the beginning of this.

Thanks
Tim

I have the pre '82 jets, size XL. I'll measure them after work tonight. Do you have access to an accurate scale? I would be interested to know the weight difference between pre and post '82 models as it could have some (slight?) effect on trim. Mine are developing little stress cracks in the foot pocket area and may at some point require replacement. The issue I have locally is that NOBODY stocks them within 100 miles or more. It makes academic persuits such as these difficult.

John

Lightning Jets have more snap and will propell you through the water more efficiently.

Okay, I measured the foot pocket. It's about 4" wide, 3 3/8" high, 8 3/4 deep on bottom, 7 5/8" deep on top. Weight (with spring straps) comes in at just over 3 lbs 9 oz (57.55 oz), each. Overall length, 22 3/4", max width 9 3/4" These are size XL, pre '82 SP Jetfins. :doctor:

John

Thanks John for the measurements - I added them to my ongoing list (I know I must be bored to be spending time doing this lol) Unfortunately I have no scale to measure with - maybe on my next trip to the post office they will help out ;-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom