Saguaro Lake 7-24

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fishkiller

Contributor
Reaction score
Mesa Arizona, The all beach no ocean state.
# of dives
100 - 199
Just wanted to drop a note about the dive conditions.

The surface temps were about 84 the Thermacline could be found right about 19 feet where it was about a 6-10 degree drop. The Viz was ahhhh but once you could see the bottom you could see the bottom the viz cleared some when the bottom reached 30feet.

We only did one dive, as Zellets new tank was only filled with 1500psi, I hate it when someone doesn't double check those things....

I also know the Cadillac and stuff location.

How'd zellot do? Did you visit the geocache?
Good to hear about you back in the water fishkilla. Anytime you wanna make a Cali trip let me know.... might go this Sunday to San Diego to dive at point loma kelp beds. 7hr drive, probably will be able to stay at a friends for free, 70ish bucks for the dive boat.

Yes... always looking for someone to dive with.

Talk to you later,
Tony.

tonyc:
How'd zellot do? Did you visit the geocache?
Good to hear about you back in the water fishkilla. Anytime you wanna make a Cali trip let me know.... might go this Sunday to San Diego to dive at point loma kelp beds. 7hr drive, probably will be able to stay at a friends for free, 70ish bucks for the dive boat.

Yes... always looking for someone to dive with.

Talk to you later,
Tony.

Well with his tank holding only 1500 psi that was enough to keep him from going any deeper than the thermalcline... I did go visit the cache for a second, I agree it needs to be moved, there was so much muck, but it went well and Zellet has increased his confidence so will want to get him back in the water ASAP...

I have to work Monday

Regan

Are there any platforms in Saguaro lake? I'm originally from Tucson, and it would be nice to have a place to dive (even if it is a lake) when I go back to visit my folks. How secluded is the place that you dive from boat traffic?

Steve Straus:
Are there any platforms in Saguaro lake? I'm originally from Tucson, and it would be nice to have a place to dive (even if it is a lake) when I go back to visit my folks. How secluded is the place that you dive from boat traffic?

No there are no platforms that I am aware of.

Secluded from Boat traffic. humm I have used the NO BOAT bouy as a guide for desents the NO Wake bouys are only passed by the few Bass Fisherman and occasional dropping off or picking up off the peir... I have not as yet heard of any incidences good or bad involving boaters and divers, but have heard of the )(&)*&(** ranger dude that don't like divers..

Steve,
go on weekdays to avoid most of the boats. Keyhole at saguaro lake is usually free of boats and has a nice dock where you can giant stride into the water. No platforms in the water though. Visability in the lakes is hit or miss. Sometimes you can get a whopping 15 foot, but don't be surprised if it's much worse. Be careful with your fin kicks and watch your bouyancy to not disturb the silt. I haven't been to the lakes for about three weeks or so. Water levels at lake pleasant are now way down. Lately I've mostly been diving at Lake Pleasant, just because it's closer to home. Sometimes while diving on the weekend, it sounds like a nascar race overhead. We just stay deeper than the boats, use a dive flag and don't surface out in the middle. Lots of people dive Vista Point. If your looking for a buddy PM me and let me know when you can go out!

Tony.

Tony,

You ever dive over off the Butcher Jones area? I wonder if that would be a place to go treasure hunting? A friend and I are thinking about four wheeling into it and seeing what we find.

What's neatest thing you've found in the lakes around here?

Craig

tonyc:
Steve,
go on weekdays to avoid most of the boats. Keyhole at saguaro lake is usually free of boats and has a nice dock where you can giant stride into the water. No platforms in the water though. Visability in the lakes is hit or miss. Sometimes you can get a whopping 15 foot, but don't be surprised if it's much worse. Be careful with your fin kicks and watch your bouyancy to not disturb the silt. I haven't been to the lakes for about three weeks or so. Water levels at lake pleasant are now way down. Lately I've mostly been diving at Lake Pleasant, just because it's closer to home. Sometimes while diving on the weekend, it sounds like a nascar race overhead. We just stay deeper than the boats, use a dive flag and don't surface out in the middle. Lots of people dive Vista Point. If your looking for a buddy PM me and let me know when you can go out!

Tony.
Thanks for the shots. If Saguaro is anything like Mt. Storm in WV, then I have the silt control issue nailed.

Have you ever been diving in Roosevelt? I'd imagine there are some accessable small wrecks now that the water level is down. I can't imagine there is much else to see there.

Steve Straus:
Thanks for the shots. If Saguaro is anything like Mt. Storm in WV, then I have the silt control issue nailed.

Have you ever been diving in Roosevelt? I'd imagine there are some accessable small wrecks now that the water level is down. I can't imagine there is much else to see there.

You would find more I suspect if you go to Thong Beach, rather than Butcher Jones, from the Keyhole you can see Butcher Jones. there are a few coves that would be better to 4X4 to.

Underwater Connection:
Tony,

What's neatest thing you've found in the lakes around here?

Craig

Well Fishkiller got a bathroom set worth of towels and a new comforter for his bed once :) I've found about three pairs of sunglasses and that's it.

Went to saguaro lake today on a friend's boat. We decided not to dive today and when I got in the water I was glad I didn't bring my gear. The water was dark green and viz didn't look too hot. Also, the dock fishkiller and I used to drop in from is roped off with yellow tape and a sign that says dock closed???? looked kind of like it was falling apart.

I'm probably going to dive Vista Point (Lake pleasant) tomorrow afternoon with my wife and Bob. Anyone who wants to join up let me know. My wife and I will probably be practicing some more in our new drysuits, so will be needing to dip below the thermocline some.

Tony.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom