Need advice on going digital

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jamiep3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Thinking of taking the plunge, need some input.

Last two years I've been using Nikonos V. Have had a photo CD made along with all film processing. Since I mostly work from the CD, think it might be time to cut out Kodak.

I'm considering a housed digital point & shoot. I mostly use my camera to bring back a few pics of where I've been, not for heavy duty underwater photography.

Also thinking that a housed camera may require less preperation time. ( one gasket/o-ring to prep vs four).

With that in mind,

1. What resoloution do I need to get the equivalent of the phot CD I've been getting? (Average file about 540K jpeg @72 per inch)

2. Anybody out there use Nikon coolpix? There seem to be some good deals on the 3.2 and 4.0 megapixel models right now?

3. Anybody using Fantasea Housings, and if so what is your experience?

4. Do I need a external flash for general use?

Any suggestions/help greatly appreciated.

Jamie

jamiep3:
1. What resoloution do I need to get the equivalent of the phot CD I've been getting? (Average file about 540K jpeg @72 per inch)
I'd go for at least a 4MP, preferrably 5MP.

2. Anybody out there use Nikon coolpix? There seem to be some good deals on the 3.2 and 4.0 megapixel models right now?
There are a few folks here using CP's

3. Anybody using Fantasea Housings, and if so what is your experience?
I've heard good and bad about Fantasea...just like any other brand.

4. Do I need a external flash for general use?
No, as a general rule, you don't NEED an external strobe. Alot will depend on the strength of the cameras internal flash but as a general rule, digitals have good ones.

you get alot of backscatter from internal strobes

interestingly, though, i read on this board that the white balance feature of digital cameras makes it so you dont need a strobe. apparently you can tell the camera what white is and it adjusts color curves. this should be done every 10'. you point the camera at something white (slate for example).

id love to hear more info on this

Well, I am using a Fantasea with a Nikon Coolpix 885 (very old cam). So far, I have not had any problems with the housing. They have recently launched an adapter ring for their housings to attached add-on lens.

I would seriously recommend an external strobe. White balance is one thing (if you have enough ambient light) but underwater, the light situation deteriorates significantly. You might not be able to get detail with the amount of ambient light, resulting is poor pics.

In shallow clear water though, manual white balance might give you some decent pics.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom