Best Roatan Resort for Non-Diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BoomerTC

Reaction score
My wife and I are interested in visiting Roatan in Feb, I dive, she doesn't so we were wondering which resort is best for the non-diver?

She likes nice accomodations and a beach to stretch out on, along with good food (don't we all like that?).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Peter

Hey Peter, we're off to Roatan in 3 weeks, and will be staying at the Luna Beach Resort. I've not been able to find much info here on this resort, as it is fairly new. However, from what I've seen elsewhere (Cruise boards, etc) it appears to be a very nice place for non-divers as well. I'll post a trip report on it when we return since so little info is around as of yet. From everything else I've read here, Anthony's Key seems to be heavily favored by many. I know that not all of the resorts have a pool, which may be important to her - but I know Luna does, and I believe AK does as well. You may also want to stay near the West End - from what I've read that seems to be where most of the non-diving action is. This is our first trip, so I'm not speaking from experience - but I'll know more soon!

I personnally favor Fantasy Island Resort. They have a very, very nice beach. They also are doing a lot for the non-diver in having various activiites and excursions available for them.

Since AKR was mentioned, I will have to say that last week while we were at Fantasy Island we made a trip to AKR for a dolphin encounter and the no seeums were much worse at AKR than at Fantasy Island. I spoke with the manager at Fantasy Island and he told me that they are spending a lot of money trying to decrease the bug problem.

Rread my post in the thread below this one on my trip there.

The thread is the "Its settled...we are going to FIBR." I replied yesterday with my report of FIBR from my trip last week.

dear boomertc,
i took my non-diving family to akr.
while i was blowing tanks, my wife, son and nephew did all the things that were available.
we all had a good time.
don't forget the deet.
regards,
smokey

The food is pretty decent at Luna Beach - at least it was when I was in the area in July. We stayed in a hotel in West End Village and I walked down to Luna Beach one day for breakfast. Pleasant hillside setting. Close enough to walk to West End Village for shopping and restuarants but not smack dab in the middle of everything. BTW, my kid the pizza aficianado likes the pizza at Pura Vida in West End Village. Anxious to hear what you have to report on Luna Beach.

My kid dives, I don't so we stayed in West End Village. I did the shopping and photography thing while kid went diving. I'm not into being baked by the tropical sun so I took a few books and my cross stitch stuff and made excellent use of the hammock on the porch outside our room

We're going back over the Christmas holidays - found a place for $55 a night during the peak holiday period. A/C, hot water, porch hammock, queen size bed, twin bed and kitchenette.

Thanks everyone...

So far it's between FIBR and AKR but I am interested in hearing about your experience at Luna Beach though ohiodiver. Seaangel, thanks for the info, your thread put FIBR on my radar screen.

CCV gets a lot of good reports as well but I don't think it is really for the non-diver. I'm real interested to hear about others non-diving experiences.

Thanks again
Peter

If I was a non-diver, I would not want to go to an all inclusive. It is nice to have more variety and places to explore. I would say West Bay (next to west end - walking distance) would be the ideal spot. They have lots of nice hotels and restaurants on a nice beach. Also you are real close to all the dive spots. You can negotiate your dives down to $15/dive(one tank).

BoomerTC:
Thanks everyone...

So far it's between FIBR and AKR but I am interested in hearing about your experience at Luna Beach though ohiodiver. Seaangel, thanks for the info, your thread put FIBR on my radar screen.

CCV gets a lot of good reports as well but I don't think it is really for the non-diver. I'm real interested to hear about others non-diving experiences.

Thanks again
Peter

If it is between FIBR & AKR. IMO FIBR would be the choice. The shore diving is better on this side of the island Plus there is a beach if your wife wants to soak up some rays.

There are several tours that she can take while you are diving. The dolphin thing at AKR can be done from there. There is also a canopy tour (you know where you think your Tarzan). Botanical garden and iguana farm tour. I know there are others but I don't pay much attention to them since I'm there to dive.

I usually stay at CCV and recommend it for divers, and you can access all the tours from there as well. Great shore diving and atmosphere. I wouldn't really recommend Roatan as a non diver place to go I still cannot figure out why the cruise ships stop there. If your wife likes peace and quite there is plenty of that there. Have fun take plenty of DEET or Cactus Juice http://www.cactusjuicetm.com/ to keep the sandfleas off.

I was at AKR last year and am returning next week. I love the place but have not been to other resorts. Looking at FIBR's website, if I was bringing a non-diver, I think I would end up at FIBR. Between the size of the beach, the pool, and the organized activities, it seems like a better option for a non-diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom