Ikelite video housing help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texashark

Registered
Reaction score
Hi from Texas.
I have an older Ikelite housing made for a Yashica/Kyocera 8mm video camera.
I now want to use my newer Sony Digital video, and called Ikelite about modifications.
They told me emphatically that they do not modify housings for a different camera, and suggested I buy a new housing.
They would not sell me parts to modify it myself. No help at all , and with an attitude.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or a source for someone who can do the modification?

The housing and camera both work, so I'm not without a camera, but I'd like to upgrade.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

texashark:
Hi from Texas.
I have an older Ikelite housing made for a Yashica/Kyocera 8mm video camera.
I now want to use my newer Sony Digital video, and called Ikelite about modifications.
They told me emphatically that they do not modify housings for a different camera, and suggested I buy a new housing.
They would not sell me parts to modify it myself. No help at all , and with an attitude.

Does anyone have any suggestions, or a source for someone who can do the modification?

The housing and camera both work, so I'm not without a camera, but I'd like to upgrade.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Can you just put the settings on your new video camera to wherever you want, press record, put it in the housing, wedge it in with foam if the mounting system doesn't line up, seal up the housing, go for a dive and edit it later? I guess this would be a problem if you want to do wide-angle and macro on the same dive though.

s****enstein:
Can you just put the settings on your new video camera to wherever you want, press record, put it in the housing, wedge it in with foam if the mounting system doesn't line up, seal up the housing, go for a dive and edit it later? I guess this would be a problem if you want to do wide-angle and macro on the same dive though.

I thought about that, and may try it, but I'd still like to try to get the housing modified if possible.

Just a thought,
Since you upgraded your camera, why not upgrade your housing,
Sell your older camera and housing here or on e.bay and use the money toward a new housing?

I have two cameras myself but I use one for the students who take my U/W videography class.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom