5050z/YS-90dx query

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDunbar

Registered
Reaction score
I'm finally getting to use my YS-90dx on a dive trip with my 5050z. I've done several different searches both here and DDN to check which settings I should be using on both the camera and strobe, but haven't really found the basic info. that I'm looking for.

If you have this setup (or had this setup), would you let me know what flash/slave settings you use on the 5050, and what you find usually is the best settings on the strobe? I would love some confirmation that I'm doing the right thing. I know I'll be fine-tuning things under water on my trip. I've been playing around in the pool with my gear, but live far away from any u/w camera pros or shops to bounce this off of. (Wait, I'm only as far away as my computer from all of you pros.)

Thanks.

Set the internal flash to slave (this turns off the preflash), and set the value to its lowest settings to save batteries. Strobe should be set to on and on, each dial

As far as settings, are you using manual? If so, settings depend on where you are going. Warm clear tropical? Shutter to 1/125 or so, aperture to 3.2 (or whatever is closest to that number, I forget), strobe to 1/2 power and adjust from there. For macro, set the camera to f8, 1/100, strobe to 3/4 and go from there.

Remember, with an external strobe the foreground will always be exposed by the strobe, and the 5050 has a fast enough shutter speed to sync up to the fastest shutter speed. THis means in practicality that the shutter speed only affects your background.

You can confirm this with the following test UW. Take a shot of your subject at 1/125, f3.2. Background will be blue. Increase shutter speed to 1/600. Foreground should stay exposed, background should be dark.

This also means that for night dives, set your shutter to 1/400 or above to avoid hotspots from the spotting light/dive light and adjust aperture and strobe power only.

These are all generalities.

Have fun

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Your info. just confirms that I'm on the right track. I very much appreciate your comments.

I thought I'd use the aperature priority mode, just because I don't totally feel comfortable with my knowledge yet to shoot in manual mode -- something I hope to be working on. I don't want to be so busy fidgeting with every little setting and getting frustrated that I either totally miss the photo moment, or that I miss completely enjoying the dive! I'm also looking forward to playing around with the white balance/no strobe settings on this trip. Hey, I can hardly wait to get wet again!

As an aside, why can the flash not be set to slave when the camera is in autofocus mode? Playing around with it last night I noticed that you can't even select "slave" as an option.

Any specific suggestions on kelp forest photography as far as general settings are concerned?

Playing around with it last night I noticed that you can't even select "slave" as an option.

'Slave' flash can only be selected in 'A' and 'M' shooting modes.

Back
Top Bottom