Good vs Bad parts of town - Sydney, Cairns, Melbourne

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kdp77

Registered
Reaction score
We are headed to AU in Sept and are staying in Sydney, Cairns and Melbourne, I want to find inexpensive lodging, preferably not hostels but I don't want to end up in the 'wrong part of town' I am hoping to spend US$50-75 per night, any advice on lodging options. We are also headed to NZ, Aukland, Nelson, Queenstown if you have any lodging advice for those too...
Thanks!

www.lastminute.com.au
www.wotif.com.au
www.needitnow.com.au
www.readyrooms.com.au
www.check-in.com.au
www.RatesToGo.com
www.cheapaccommodation.com

in the Cairns area try

www.cheapaccommodation.com/Cairns
www.cairnsaccomm.com.au
www.cairnsaccommodation.com.au/
www.cairnsholiday.com.au/

I guess i would just recommend researching what you want to see at each place and then find accom central to it, also when booking your accom make sure you find out what local transport runs near it Cairns won't be such a problem but if you stay in Sydney and Melbourne you don't want to have two busses a train and then a tram to get places

We were in Cairns last summer, plenty of inexpensive places to stay, we walked and used public transport and didn't have any problems. The police seem to have a handle on the crime sit. from a travelers perspective.

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

See if you can track down a Lonely Planet guidebook; I had one for Sydney and thought is was useful...

"No go areas" that I know of are listed below. Others who actually live there may disagree - this is from what I've been told.

Brisbane - Inala
Sydney - the western suburbs and Redfern. (Lock your car doors - bag snatchings take place often.)
Melbourne - the western suburbs.

Nelson and Queesntown are way to small to have 'parts of town' much less good and bad parts..

Auckland, I would rather be somewhere other than lodging right on Queen St (the main street), but I am not sure how mnay options there are there anyway.

Have fun.

Alison

I live in Auckland but have travelled around. The hostel situation in NZ is of a very high standard. But you can look at some other options.
B & B's (Bed & breakfasts) Check out the B&B association of NZ. They have lists of all the B&B's all over the country and can assist with bookings. You meet other travellers in more intimate surroundings and you have the local hosts available with great travel advice.
Farm Stay's. There is also a farm stay association of NZ that allows you to stay on a farm and take part in the function of the farm if you want to.
The motel Asssociation. NZ is covered in motels with their own kitchens who often have charge back agreements with local restaurants, so you can get the meal chgd to your room account.
Anf of course hotels. We have tons of them. Most towns and cities have accomodation websites you can check.
Most travellers are pleasantly surprised at how relaxed things are here. I would recommend you do check the B&B's though. They are everywhere.
Hope that helps.

Cheers Big Ears

The Gasman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom