seeking summer job

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubalazs

Reaction score
guys, i'm a hungarian 24/M instructor and desperately seeking a summer job from June-Aug this summer. Preferrably in the Spanish, Greek, Cyprus, Malta region. Does any1 of you know a nice dive base where they could employ me? 10 yrs of diving experience, 5yrs teaching experience. Languages: Enlgish, German, Italian, basic Dutch, Croatian and Spanish. Excellent PR skills, i'm currently working as an English teacher and scuba instructor at home.
thanks all

Hi and welcome to the board.
I'm still trying to gain a command of the English lanuage. Your English is wonderful.
You might want to send a message to Manogr on the board. She is located in Greece and is a travel agent. She might be able to help.
Scroll down in the Europe section, and find her name a few threads down. Click on it and when you see her pofile send her a private message.
Good luck!

I spent last summer in Malta (composed of the islands of Malta and Gozo), and know a few of the operators. Your language skills would be in high demand there! Malta law requires that dive guides be certified as instructors, so instructors teach and guide all of the dives. Now is a good time to apply for a position there.

Few shops teach NAUI courses in Malta. Most popular training agencies there are PADI, CMAS, and BSAC, but you may find work at a non-NAUI shop as a dive guide for the peak season of June-August. General Diving Services is the only shop I could find that offers NAUI courses, but I do not know much about them.

I dove with Subway Scuba and they had an international staff of French, Dutch, English, and Maltese instructors. Subway offers only PADI courses. Subway provides shared housing for instructors, and the main shop is conveniently loacted in the tourist town of Bugibba. Contact Lena or Stephen to inquire about any openings, and direct your C.V. to Martin, the shop owner.

Subway has a few contracts to provide English language lessons to students at some of the language schools on the island. You must teach those lessons in English, but the students may appreciate your ability to understand other languages.

Calypso Divers on Gozo is now hiring English-speaking instructors, with a preference for instructors who also speak German. Calypso Divers offers PADI and BSAC courses. Contact George Vella with your details to apply.

Other good shops in the St Pauls Bay area include Strand Diving Services which offers TDI, CMAS, and PADI classes and Dive Deep Blue which offers PADI and BSAC courses.

If you have questions about any dive shop in Malta, please ask.

guys, i've been away for a while, went out for a week and enjoyed some nice snowboarding. thanks for the replies, i'm back and desperately got down to work again, searching for the job. malta sounds good, in the worst case i'm trying to go back to my previous croatian dive base...

Natasha I am a male ! Why you transformed me to a she ???? :)

Anyway ....Scubalazs I send you a private msg with some links to search for jobs in Greece and I am always at your disposal for anything you may need...

Manogr

I can't believe it! I've sent at least 200 emails and people keep rejecting me. to tell the truth I'm starting to get pissed off with this PADI mania... I've never had any problems with other organisations and sad to say, I've believed in the 'almost-equality' but I'm looked down on just because I'm a NAUI instructor. I can understand if some1 has an exclusive PADI base but if not, why not including NAUI programs??? Gosh, I can go to gell with my 5 languages and instructor card. Ladies and Gentlemen, I'm disappointed. Please let me know if you can help me in any way, otherwise I'll get a DIY hang-yourself-up kit... ok, that was a joke but seriously.. I must get a summer job somewhere....

thx,
scubalazs

Yes it is a pity about PADI mania, but their domination appears to be very much like the PC/MAC situation in that the organisation with the best marketing capabilities wins and the product quality is almost irrelevant. :)

I got certified OW in April 2001. When I was choosing an organisation, my local dive shop advised me as follows...

* do you want to do most of your diving in the UK
* or do you want to dive all around the world?

I answered "round the world" and was told that the only realistic option was PADI. So if that's what people are being told, that is what they are asking for.

If I had answered "UK", they would have told me BSAC. I only heard of NAUI and other organisations when I started looking at scuba sites on the web.

Having experienced the...
"open water in 3 days" - including theory and exam
while on holiday in the Dominican Republic

...I can really undestand the...
put another dollar in and
pay and dive immediately

On the other hand, the speed of the course put my wife off diving, as it was WAY too fast for her :(
She dropped out after day 1 and I had to fight for a partial refund.
(Sea Pro, Playa Dorada, Puerta Plata)

I also was not even sure after my certification and training whether or not I even liked diving? That's got to be a little crazy right? But a trip to the Red Sea for diving and AOW, soon settled that one - loved it :wink:

Probably the BSAC training would have been more thorough and relaxed (for my wife too, with hindsight), but I wanted a card that would let me dive all round the world. I was told that BSAC is not accepted in all countries and PADI is. I'm not sure if that is true.

But the point of all of this is that to make yourself more marketable, maybe you need multiple instructor certifications scubalazs?

After all, if the people ask for PADI courses and you can't give them PADI, you'll see that, undesirable as it may be, they have already achieved domination. :(

But surely they would let you be a dive guide or helper with an alternative qualification wouldn't they?

If the PC/MAC analogy continues though, the existence of other organisations will force PADI to tighten up their product offerings.
I've been a PC user for years, 18 months ago I bought a MAC for a particular project, and I realsed that all the hype about MACs being so good was no longer true. The only tangible benefit I could see with the MAC was the ability to change screen resolution without re-booting.

In a few years time we may see PADI offerings incorporating the best of all current thinking. They's be totally stupid to ignore the good aspects of other organisations' training programs. ;-0

Don't go for the hang yourself kit yet. NAUI's website does have some job listings, but more importantly it has a list of affiliated resorts. Go to NAUI's website and select the Shop Locator feature on the left side of the page. Choose a country you are interested in, and email every shop listed.

Many shops that are not exclusive with one agency still want to limit how many agencies they teach. To add an instructor from a different agency, the shop must carry the manuals and teaching materials for that agency. It is a cost of inventory question.

Manogr:
So sorry for the slip of the typewritter.
Please forgive me, dear sir!

Back
Top Bottom