Howdy from Portland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ARNGUSMCMP

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hey, I'm new on here, living in the portland area. Name's Nate

Nate,

Howdy from Southern Oregon!!! Are ya new to the Portland area? or are ya an old time resident?

I am also fairly new to this board, and have to say that the folks around here are great!!!

Have a great day!

Donnie

Welcome Aboard!!!

It's addictive, but who cares?!?!?

Good friends and good info. What could be better???

P.S. - If you have not already done so, please fill out your profile.

ARNGUSMCMP:
Just wanted to say hey, I'm new on here, living in the portland area. Name's Nate
Nate: Welcome to the Pacific NorthWest! Many of us Portlanders dive in Hoods Canal, WA., but it's a tad colder than diving in Cuba :) There's also some great shore dives and charters in the Tacoma area. Have you hooked up with a Dive Shop yet?

Jerry

IN answer to Donnie, I'm new. Just moved up here in may.

In answer to Gerald, yeah, I dropped by Oregon Underwater, they're the first place I found that was a PADI store, and got a card from one of the dive instructors, he says he goes at least twice a month, so I'm probably gonna be hooking up with him a fair amount early on. I need to get a thicker wetsuit(all i got is a 5/3 and a skinsuit) pus my reg set has been having a slight freeflow problem, so I need to get that checked out before I go into the water out here.

Hope I answered all y'alls questions. Oh, and I have already filled out my profile, so.... yup.

Guess thats it fer now,

Nate

ARNGUSMCMP:
IN answer to Donnie, I'm new. Just moved up here in may.

In answer to Gerald, yeah, I dropped by Oregon Underwater, they're the first place I found that was a PADI store, and got a card from one of the dive instructors, he says he goes at least twice a month, so I'm probably gonna be hooking up with him a fair amount early on. I need to get a thicker wetsuit(all i got is a 5/3 and a skinsuit) pus my reg set has been having a slight freeflow problem, so I need to get that checked out before I go into the water out here.

Hope I answered all y'alls questions. Oh, and I have already filled out my profile, so.... yup.

Guess thats it fer now,

Nate
I've heard good things about Oregon Underwater.

You might want to look into getting a drysuit. The water temps are now in the mid-50's, but during the winter months they'll be in the high 40's. I have one buddy who dives wet, but he double-layers 7-mil suits.

I have found most of my dive buddies through my dive shop (Aquatic Sports). I also see lots of people finding buddies on this forum. Every time I dive I go out of my way to meet new people, then I can build up my buddy-list. When I can't find ANY buddies to go with me, then I sign up for a 2-tank charter through Bandito Charters. That way you're pretty much guaranteed there will be somebody to dive with, plus you'll get taken to some great offshore spots to dive.

Jerry

I'll second the drysuit. If you're going to be diving Hood or Puget Sound much, you'll be much happier with a DS.

Yeah....

I've been looking into em, but honestly, it just seems too complicated. I mean, breathin off a reg is breathin off a reg, but I enjoy being in the water. A dry suit seems like diving in a ziploc bag. Plus it's another certification class I have to go through. I may just have to wait till the winter months are over to dive around here, unfortunately. Not sure if I can afford to both get dry suit certified and afford the rental fees(remember, living on a college student's budget.) Anyways, we'll see.

Nate

Whats up Nate.
I am new to this board too and I live in Coos Bay. Just getting my Cert this weekend so very new to diving. Lots of good people here though. I cant wait to get on with the underwater stuff. Very excited.
Have fun
Jer

Hey man, welcome to the sport. Trust me, it's a horrible addiction that will suck all the money out of your bank account. But you'll be broke with a smile. Seriously, I only got certified cause my Master Sergeant was gonna give me time off from work to do it. But once I took my first breath off that reg..... god, I've been trying to sell my sister to support the habit(not that I'm too fond of her anyways.) Anyways dude, you're ever in the Portland area, n need a dive buddy look me up. On the flip side, once I get my transfer degree from the community college up here i'm gonna try to get into OSU, so I'll probably be hitten you up since I'll be considerably closer.

Nate

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom