We were chased out of the water by sharks!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

luvdiving

Contributor
Reaction score
An hour South of Mosul, Iraq or Ft Wayne, Indiana
Three days ago, while conducting an OW 2 class here on Johnston Island, we had a five foot Galapagos (I think) shark become really aggressive and chase us out of the water.

It, along with two smaller sharks were circling us during the whole dive in very tight circles. It isn't that unusual to see sharks out here, so we weren't overly concerned. But, just as we were getting ready to begin our tour-for-pleasure, the largest of the three started coming right at us, then turning away at the last moment. I got between it and one of my two students and had to almost push it away! The pectoral fins came down and the back started to go into an arch. Wow!

It was about this point that I decided to continue the lesson another day.

It isn't unusual to see sharks out here. They usually come and go during our dives, but for some reason, this guy seemed upset.

Have any other Instructors had to abort their training dives in a similar manner? :boom:

Originally posted by luvdiving
The pectoral fins came down and the back started to go into an arch. Wow!
Have any other Instructors had to abort their training dives in a similar manner? :boom:
Never had to abort a teaching dive - but I've had two big Bull sharks with pectorals down & back up "invite" me to leave the water.
It is an impressive thing to observe, and one I don't care to repeat.
Rick

Originally posted by trymixdiver
You only have to out swim your buddy!

Andy

Why do you think they are so insistant that you should always dive with a shark snack... er... buddy...

That must have been nerve racking..to say the least! All the sharks I've seen here have either ignored us or high tailed it out of there! I really don't want to experience that kind of encounter!

Do your students have any fear of getting in the water after that?

Good Question scubabunny. I haven't had my OW yet, will do it in May, and even though I'm very comfortable in the water and not much scares me, for someone who hasn't experienced seeing sharks, much less have them swim up to you would be very frightening....I hope they don't quit now because that really would be bad.

Being from Minnesota and not used to the whole shark thing, I for one would definately need a clean pair of shorts and a new wetsuit after that!

Hi Scubabunny

As for how the students are about the shark thing? They thought it was pretty neat. When we were cleaning gear, I explained the threat display and what it means.

There are lots and lots of sharks out here. We see them on almost every dive, but as it gets closer to mating season, they must be getting more and more anxious. I know I do!:boom:

Most of the sharks I've seen while diving were just out there in the shadows. Although there was this one place I liked to swim out to, a good mile & half- two mile trip. And no one around at all, prefect. Well... I liked to do that until I found out an aquarium chums for sharks in that excat spot!... on a regualar basis. I never did find another good place.... everywhere else just had too many people.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom