Whiskey Wreck 7-29-04 Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Did a 76minute dive at(around) the Whiskey Wreck last night. The algae bloom was so thick we never got a visual on the wreck itself but could hear the barnacles cracking - we had to be close. In the immediate area of the wreck there were a couple feet of algae with the occasional wave of algae that was about 4' thick. Moderate amount of jellyfish(Sea Nettles - they sting) adding to our games of ascent and descent zig here zag there...

Still managed to see 3 small Flounder(several juvenilles) in the shallows, there had to be more prevelent near the wreck. Other than the Flounder and a few sea cats, we saw nothing even close to dinner size speaking fish. Lots of blue-crabs out though! Yum!

I think next week I'll just bring a camera :)

No doubt, we know they're there, I hit 5 flatties last thursday! Damned algae :)

SuPrBuGmAn:
Did a 76minute dive at(around) the Whiskey Wreck last night. The algae bloom was so thick we never got a visual on the wreck itself ...

I've heard of the wreck, but can't recall where it is. You've probably spoken of it in previous posts, but where is the Whiskey Wreck?

Yep.

Not too too much left of it, but it still draws in quite a bit of fish, crabs, octo's, and the occasional shark or 3 :wink:

Next time I'm in Gulf Shores, maybe summer 05, I need to get with you and go dive it. I have been wanting to dive it for years, but I have been told it wasn't worth it repeatedly. I also didn't want to go out there blind the first time and not find it.

My mother-in-law is best frineds with a woman who is related to the original owner of that boat. She is a Calloway.

TwoBit

Week before last when I dove it, there was still 4-5' of it protruding from the sand. Last weekend we couldn't find it at all :) We'll see what happens this weekend. There isn't much of the wreck considering it used to be a 200+' boat, but there is more than enough to draw in marine life. I enjoy it and dive it atleast once a week.

Whenever you're in the area, I'll be more than happy to show you around it :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom