Refurbished or discontinued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbichsel

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Would anyone here have issues with buying a factory refurbished camera? Prices are much better, many other refurbished items seem to be as good or better than new.

What about a discontinued model like the Oly c-5050?

I had an Olympus C750 refurbished and it works great. You can buy 5 year extended waranties for around $100 if your concerned. Look at he C5060 instead of the C5050. The same camera but with improvements, especially the built in wide angle (27-110 mm) and 4X optical zoom.

jbichsel:
Would anyone here have issues with buying a factory refurbished camera? Prices are much better, many other refurbished items seem to be as good or better than new.

What about a discontinued model like the Oly c-5050?

I use Oly re-furb cameras for my underwater housings. I have purchased 3 of them over the past 1 and 1/2 years. I flooded one back in Feb. and currently have 2. I bought an extra in case they become extinct. They are no longer mfg. new by Oly. I have never had any problems with the re-furbs.

One of the downsides with prosumer cameras and housings is that both the cameras and the housings are outdated as newer models come out. Do you buy an extra camera so you don't get stuck with the housing or do you buy an extra housing so you don't get stuck wih the camera or do you buy both?

If you purchased a high end housing, like an Ikelite,for a prosumer camera, then you likely should buy an extra camera because that housing is going to be around a lot longer than the camera.

Financially, I'm not into upgrading to newer model cameras and housings as they come out. I'm satisfied with "amateur underwater photography". Those C4000z re-furbs are now around $200. The C5050's are more. Finding the corresponding camera housing should be done at the same time you buy the camera. One is no good without the other.

I've flooded and thus repaired, aka Re-gutted, got a refurbished and finally, as Gilligan pointed out, bought anothere refurbished one as a backup for when they become extinct.... so I don't have an expensive door stop...

All have worked fine, I wouldn't have any problems getting a refurbished one, and more to the point, don't have much choice...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom