Light Cannon use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Arvid

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone out their used a UK HID Light cannon with the defusser as a light source instead of a strobe light. I've heard that it works great but only from people who heard this. I'm short on cash after buying my C5060 Olympus and am looking for a temporary solution, possible permanate. I'm taking the camera out for the first time next weekend.

If you already have the Light Canon then there is no harm in using it as it is better than nothing.
IMHO it is no substitute for a strobe, so if you don't already have one I would not buy one to use in place of a strobe. Apply the money towards a quality strobe.
The Light Canon is heavy and you will be using both hands unless you rig a tray and arm for it. I doubt that light is designed to be turned off and on as many times as you would during a dive, unless you plan on leaving it on during the entire dive. Bulbs for it are expensive in the $100. range.

My friends use it and really like it, maynot be as good as a strobe but you cant still get prize winning photos.

I would use both a light cannon AND a strobe. The light cannon might reduce the harshness of the strobe by reducing the output. But the light cannon is a really heavy/negative piece of equipment and it will probably be best to try to mount it on the housing tray than to fumble with it while trying to take a shot.

Tim

Back
Top Bottom