Memory Card Durability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chippy

Contributor
Reaction score
Not sure I'd try this with mine, but this might be worth a read for those worried about flooding :wink:

Card Test

Don't you just love solid state electronics, the sooner magnetic based memory systems are consigned to the dustbin the better :wink:

Just a trick that we have learned her in FL. If the car fails because of a salt water bath, then warm some rubbing alcohol in a glass. It should not be to hot. If you can put your hand in it, your ok. Now drop the card in for a half hour bath. Stiring every min or so. The heat will help melt the salt and other mineras. Now dip the card in a clean alcohol bath. Let it dry completely and you should be ok assuming that the minerals did not short the card out too bad. The alcohol will dry quickly without the minerals in water.

This same thing works on many electronic devices. We have a ton of phones and pagers at work that hit the salt water or lake water on a pretty regular basis. The quicker you put in the alcohol the better. We can save 75% or so of the devices. The other 25% hit the trash.

i don't know about indestructable. I flooded my canon s500 this weekend and the 1G san disk card is dead. It was submerged in carmel for for less than 10 minutes to about 30 feet before i noticed. cth6, there is some alcohol warming as i type, certainly can't hurt. thx

Keep in mind that if power is applied while flooded...you're pretty much toast. If it's powered down, not much of a problem.

Back
Top Bottom