How to find scallop beds

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jiveturkey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anybody have any tips on finding a scallop bed? I've heard they often grow where fresh water meets the ocean. I guess they like sand as well. Other than that, I know nothing.

jiveturkey:
Anybody have any tips on finding a scallop bed? I've heard they often grow where fresh water meets the ocean. I guess they like sand as well. Other than that, I know nothing.

Where are you scalloping? I can give you lots of input on Florida-Gulf of Mexico, if that's what you want. :crafty:

They can be found in areas where there is a strong channel current to get as much nutrients as possible. Usualy at the seaward side of the harbour. The bottom is often more muddy than sandy and they tend to have be on sand or mud banks that don't break the surface. The slack is the only tide that you can get them on. Otherwise you can be in 3-5 knots quicker than you can blink. If they are overfished, then the whole bed can pick up and move elsewhere, so local contacts are a must have to find where the beds have moved to. You have to watch out for those who dredge the beds. Especially commercial scollapers who come in at night illegally to dredge and have no running lights. A friend of mine reminded one boat of the importance of not fishing illegally when he decorated their boat with a couple of bullets...hehehe.

Cheers

Scallops like a mild current and the best concentrations are reputed to be found in the 60ft + range, though some of the largest scallops are found in shallower water. Scallops move up a slope, thats why some people look for the ledge or bottom of a cliff face and zig zag back a couple of metres, gulley's can also be very good. Check out ISBN 0 85238 114 X Hardy, David "Scallops and the diver-fisherman" Fishing New Books Ltd.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom