OT - White Water Rafting in the Canyon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeputyDan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I would like to take my daughter white water rafting in the Grand Canyon.

Has anyone done this? Which outfitter would you recommend?

Upper canyon trip or lower canyon trip?

Thanks.

I've done it, at age 13. Absolutely loved it...one of my all-time most memorable life experiences yet, and that was 17 years ago. At the time, we rafted with the late Georgie Clark, who was (and is) a rafting legend.

I rafted from Lee's Ferry to Phantom Ranch, and hiked out the Bright Angel trail. I believe (stretching the memory here) that was a 3 day trip. The next two days (I think) of rafting would've landed us at Lake Mead. Some of the biggest rapids are in those last two days...."Crystal" & "Lava Falls." Given my age at the time & the fact that I was on a "small" raft (12-person), I was perfectly happy to save those rapids for another day.

I'd love to go back. A good friend of mine who has rafted the river multiple times is setting up another trip now, which I unfortunately won't be able to make. I'll drop him a line and find out what outfitter he's going to use.

Jim

In 1991 my father and I did the lower half, which took seven days. We hiked down Bright Angel to meet the boats, which had started a week earlier on the upper half. This was through Azra (Flagstaff, AZ), with 6-passenger boats (oared and paddled, your choice). We had side hikes into the desert, days of quiet exploration, and, naturally, lots of whitewater. I'd go with them again in a minute. It was one of the last active things my dad did--what a memory.

-Bryan

Day Mile What Where
---------------------------------------------------
Sat 91 lunch Trinity Canyon
93 camp Crystal Creek
Sun 109 lunch Shinumo Creek
120 camp Black Tail Canyon
Mon 134 lunch Tapeats Creek
134 camp Tapeats Creek
Tue 136 lunch Deer Creek
155 camp Mile 155 1/2
Wed 157 lunch Beaver Falls (Havasu Creek)
166 camp National Canyon
Thu 180 lunch Lower Lava
188 camp Whitmore Wash
Fri 205 lunch Kolb Rapid
220 camp 220 Mile Canyon
Sat 226 out Diamond Creek

Thanks for the links.

Looking at the prices most of the six day trips cost more that a complete dive trip for me to Bonaire. That does not include getting to Arizona and lodging. I can do Bonaire from NC (Staying at Buddy Dive) for around $1,400 per person for everything but dinner.

It's like another planet in there. Between the rush of seeing deep time revealed in the strata and the rush of the whitewater I thought it was a good value. There's a photo of our boat reared up vertical on its stern as it crests a standing wave, with me hanging in the air with one hand on the bow line.

But your results may vary . . .

-Bryan

If you have never rafted down the grandcanyon you must. It is a once in the life time experiance that you will remember the rest of your life.

Set up the trip, and a bunch of us will sign up!

Wristshot

Sorry, forgot about this thread. The outfitter that a friend of mine has gone with three times (and is currently planning his group's 4th trek) is Diamond River. I haven't gone with them, so I can't give you a personal recommendation, but this is coming from an outdoors adventurer who has very high expectations of his guides, so they're probably a very good outfit.

Regards,
Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom