Looking for advice regarding Full-Face masks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sleestax

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

My wife and I are considering a switch from the standard regulator/mask to a full-face mask and buddyphone system. Though we are shallow-water recreational divers and don't technically *need* the gear, we both like the advantages that a full-face + buddyphone appear to offer.

At any rate, I would like some advice from other rec or pro divers who use full-face systems and comm systems:

1. I know that some additional training is required for this kind of gear, but I don't know what that entails other than learning how to clear the mask. Little help?

2. In your experience, what are the advantages and disadvantages of a full-face + comm system?

3. As non-technical rec divers, what brand/models of gear would you recommend?

Any advice is appreciated.

The bigest problem you are likely to run into is actually not clearing the mask, in my experience, you tend to run into trouble clearing your ears in these types of masks. The AGA was especially bad about this, ad I have known people to take them completely off underwaterto do a valsalva.

The Exo units from Kirby Morgan look pretty good, and anyone farmilliar with their superlights and band masks knowd they are generally decent equipment.

THe down side is that you can expect to spend $800 or more for good full face equipment.

Clearing a FFM is easy as the tend to free flow if the seal is broken keeping the water out.

One aspect worth considering is that in order to get air from another sourse you need to remove the mask.

Some also have trouble with fit. I'm one of those. None I've tried really fit well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom