silica gel for camera housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justinbaker

Registered
Reaction score
i was just wondering if the gel packets that come in shoe boxes, would be good enough for my camera housing? Let me know what you think?

I've seen several people post about using them. The reason I don't is the dessicant will only absorb so much moisture. I want to be sure the ones I use are fresh and will absorb well, the ones I use can be rejuvenated easy. The covering on freebies usually won't stand up to being dried out in the oven. They have been known to catch fire, even on low temperatures. They were designed to be thrown away, not reused.

The rechargeable dessicants are really cheap, why take a chance?

Dee:
I've seen several people post about using them. The reason I don't is the dessicant will only absorb so much moisture. I want to be sure the ones I use are fresh and will absorb well, the ones I use can be rejuvenated easy. The covering on freebies usually won't stand up to being dried out in the oven. They have been known to catch fire, even on low temperatures. They were designed to be thrown away, not reused.

The rechargeable dessicants are really cheap, why take a chance?

Dee, for your c-5050 and pt-015, I know you purchase your dessicant at http://preservesmart.com/products.htm#SilicaGelDesiccants, but do you get the packets or do you buy bulk and make your own? I'm wondering if the packets are too big for the housing - I can't find dimensions anywhere for the Oly ones that fit right, to know if these will work or not.
Thanks!

saf_25:
Dee, for your c-5050 and pt-015, I know you purchase your dessicant at http://preservesmart.com/products.htm#SilicaGelDesiccants, but do you get the packets or do you buy bulk and make your own? I'm wondering if the packets are too big for the housing - I can't find dimensions anywhere for the Oly ones that fit right, to know if these will work or not.
Thanks!

I get the small packets. They fit in the PT-15 very well, much better than the ones that came with the housing as they are a bit smaller in length and width. In humid conditions, like here at home and Roatan or Coz, I change them every night when I set the camera up for the next days diving.

Dee:
I get the small packets. They fit in the PT-15 very well, much better than the ones that came with the housing as they are a bit smaller in length and width. In humid conditions, like here at home and Roatan or Coz, I change them every night when I set the camera up for the next days diving.

Perfect - that's great to know! Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom