YS-90DX or DS-50 or DS-125

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mavjax

Reaction score
After talking with a lot of people, and reading a lot of threads it comes down to these three strobes to attach to my Canon A-80 with Canon housing.

The price point of the YS-90 and DS-50 are much more appealing than the DS-125 but the 125 is rechargable, over twice the power, wider coverage and a modeling light.

It also APPEARS that the ikelite's may be easier to use from a sensor perspective.... comments from actual users would be greatly appreciated from both the Ikelite and Sea&sea side.
I put myself at the mercy of the boards to help with the decision :)

I love my DS125's, the only thing I'd like to change is the "warmness" of the colour of the light they put out. The fact they are rechargable is a real bonus, and the modelling light makes an excellent dive light.

The power of the DS125 and DS50 is more or less the same, it's just that the DS125 spreads the light over a greater area.

The DS125's are really big and heavy too, so that's would considering if you plan on taking them travelling.

Early DS125's also had a flooding problem, although I understand this has now been rectified. Ike's customer service is 2nd to none though - my flooded one was replaced FOC.

For the YS-90DX users...I've only had mine in the water a couple of times--each time without the diffuser on the strobe. Is there an example of an instance (condition) that you would want to use it?

Thanks!

I too have the DS-125 .... VERY happy with it !!! The modeling is awesome !!

Here are a few pictures that were composed using that strobe ... a couple were from a night dive. All shot in Macro or S Macro ...yet the strobe didnt blow them out. As chippy states you've got to love the support from Ikelite ....fantastic people

Have a look at this strobe test report, it may help.

http://www.scubacam.com.sg/pages/Strobe Test.pdf

I would also suggest that you consider what type of photography you will be doing. The DS125 is easily the correct choice for wide angle but if macro is more your thing then either the DS50 or S&S would be plenty good enough. Personally I love the Ike EV controller as it puts the strobe control down close to the housing, you can keep you eye on the subject and take a series of shots while adjusting the strobe power. Try doing that on a strobe with the power settings on the rear!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom