Rent, Cost of Living

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Thought this would be the best place to check on this...

I have a job offer for HI, and potentially another one as well (have to go through interview process first), but the prospect of being that close to good diving while getting paid intrigues me.

Can anyone provide insight into cost of living, renting options down in and around Honolulu?

It looks like rent most places is around $1000 a month with parking extra (ugh). Anything less than that not in a bad part of town? Anyone have any leads or rooms/property for rent?

Also, what would the cost of living expenses be? From having been there three times before I realize that you can pretty much get by without an air conditioner, so what am I looking at on bills (electricity, water, cable, and modem). I've got a cell phone already, that will be my phone line.

I'm still in touch with at least one shop where I could probably get on as a divemaster for a few trips a week, but would be interested in what is out there in that way too.

Anyway, if anyone can provide info. along these lines, I'd appreciate it - either posting here or feel free to PM.

Thanks a bunch!

Aggie Diver:
Thought this would be the best place to check on this...

I have a job offer for HI, and potentially another one as well (have to go through interview process first), but the prospect of being that close to good diving while getting paid intrigues me.

Can anyone provide insight into cost of living, renting options down in and around Honolulu?

It looks like rent most places is around $1000 a month with parking extra (ugh). Anything less than that not in a bad part of town? Anyone have any leads or rooms/property for rent?

Also, what would the cost of living expenses be? From having been there three times before I realize that you can pretty much get by without an air conditioner, so what am I looking at on bills (electricity, water, cable, and modem). I've got a cell phone already, that will be my phone line.

I'm still in touch with at least one shop where I could probably get on as a divemaster for a few trips a week, but would be interested in what is out there in that way too.

Anyway, if anyone can provide info. along these lines, I'd appreciate it - either posting here or feel free to PM.

Thanks a bunch!

OK, we live in Waikiki, about 2-3 blocks from the beach in a small place and pay about $900 with 2 parking spots (behind each other), water and simple cable and to a certain extent funished.

We have air conditioning, but don't use it. Our ceiling fans and the computer are on most of the time and the washer/dryer gets used every day. Our electric bill is about $80 a month

We have the Verizon deal (might change since verizon hawaii was sold) and pay $26 something for the phone line and $37 + change for unlimited DSL.

Where on the Island would you want to live? Again I reccomend checking out www.honoluluadvertiser.com the classifieds :wink:

Since it sounds like you'll have a car, you could also consider Aiea, Pearl City, Waipahu and Kaneohe as cheaper living alternatives to Honolulu proper, the drive is only about 15 minutes (without rush-hour) and Oahu has a great bus system that costs about $25-$30 unlimited per month last I checked. It takes about 60-90 minutes to get almost anywhere on the island via bus. Bicycles are also popular options as are mopeds since the weather is mostly conducive to riding even in the rain.

Tim

Good point with The Bus! Thanks for bringing it up. :D

Just sorry to say that after last years bus strike the bus fare has gone up :bawling:

Bummer about the price increase - still $40/month isn't bad considering gas prices these days (maui is over $2.60/gal now)

I remember catching the bus in elementary school for 25 cents each way, unlimited transfers included. (of course I also remember when it was 10 cents before that, but I was too young to ride by myself)

The Bus is a good solution if you're looking to reduce expenses by not having a car - or at least the weekday commuting expenses.

However, an important factor to consider is how close you live to a good bus line. If you live close to where an express bus stops, then it's great. If not, you may have to transfer up to a couple times to get where you want to go - and then the travel time really starts to add up.

I live in Aiea - when I grew up it seemed to be at the end of the world, it was so far away. Now with all the developments going further west, it is actually pretty central. But it still takes me an hour to drive home from downtown every day.

Hey Chepar, I'm from Aiea also - Aiea High class of 88' - my folks still live there, nice part of Oahu, though I'd take Maui any day - Maui No Ka Oi!

Thanks for the insight so far guys. What's gas at these days down there?

I've been to Hawaii three times, my sister used to live in Aiea, and moved to Kaneohe a while back. She's now in Alabama (Army).

Any safe, affordable suburbs near the airport area?

Kidspot -

I wouldn't mind living on Maui either!

Aggie-

The gas right now for regular unleaded is about $2.26 per gallon, I think. I'm not positive because I have a Costco card - so I'm able to get regular unleaded for about $2.05 per gallon. I never used to bother with Costco gas because it's kind of a PITA - there's only a couple locations, it's always really crowded - but with gas being so high now, I really don't have a choice. I just have to get there at 6:15 a.m. (and it's still crowded).

Closer to the airport area is Salt Lake - lots of condos in that area and should be less to rent in general than in town.

funny how much less gas is on Oahu than Maui. Wonder if it can be mailed over here? hmmm New internet sales of dehydrated gasoline soar - just add water (bottled of course at $3.75/gal)

We are supposed to be getting a costco gas station - I'd love to see it back down to $2.05 instead of $2.65

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom