Filters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mwrager

Contributor
Reaction score
Does any one use under water filters? If so what colors do you use and when do you use them? I have an Olympus C-750 with the P-018 under water housing. I found out that the lens ring is 67 mm.

Over a year ago I had a red filter I was using on non-strobe shots until I lost it on a dive.
IMHO, I think you will get the same or better results using Manual White Balance on non-strobe shots and some post editing in Photoshop or the like.

Using a filter is not a substitute for manual white balance and photoshop processing. It may well improve the quality of the reds (because the reds will be better exposed). Here is a good article explaining their use, and see the threads at that site's forum also. Here is another explanation which also goes over using a complementary filter on the strobe.

Thank you very much for the information. It gives me a better understanding of filter. How many people use filters on their digital cameras? Have you had good or bad luck using them?

I tried a filter but found the manual white balance did a much better job.

Using a filter WITH manual white balance is a very powerful combination. I shoot RAW whenever I've tried a filter.
As tie correctly stated manual white balance is not the same as using a filter.
The biggest problem I find with filters alone is the loss of 1 to 2 f-stops of light.

One thing for sure is that the use of filters is more task loading on top of a strobe, a wide angle lens, and a macro lens.

Back
Top Bottom