DPV shopping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StueyinDeep

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just in case I am asking questions that have already been asked; a search of SB for 'DPV' returned *no* results.

I'm looking at buying a DPV/UW scooter and am wondering if anyone here has any experience/advice with the current scooters that are on the market in the <$2000 range.

Initially the SeaDoo looked interesting but doesn't seem to have tested well. The Torpedo 2000 is looking tasty though...

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Stu

StueyinDeep:
Hi guys,

Just in case I am asking questions that have already been asked; a search of SB for 'DPV' returned *no* results.

I'm looking at buying a DPV/UW scooter and am wondering if anyone here has any experience/advice with the current scooters that are on the market in the <$2000 range.

Initially the SeaDoo looked interesting but doesn't seem to have tested well. The Torpedo 2000 is looking tasty though...

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thanks in advance.

Stu

The original Seedoo is a Toy :wink: The latest VS supercharged (You've got to laugh at the name :eyebrow: ) is good value for money, its a big price jump up to anything better.

Also idealy you need 2, one for you and one for your Buddy or the fun goes out of it :11:

From what I can gather, having read the research paper done by DSAT, the VS Supercharged is still a toy.
Poorly manufactured housing, unintuitive and fatiging controls, low speed, flimsy built.

I recon it would do alright in the tropics but I'm in cold water here (I see you are too, fella); we need something a little more robust.

I'd be really interested if anyone has any info on the Torpedo - you can put two together into one unit!!!! wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

I have been making the same search and get no results for DPV. I don't know why...

I have had a lot of success with the Torpedos. I own 5 of them. They have had a few electrical problems but I've been able to fix them myself. The price is quite good for them too. I've attached two together and it's great in the water, but moving them around topside is a chore. The Torpedos are more quiet than the DACOR Seasprint which is another plus for Torpedo. Diving loses some appeal when you make a big commotion down there. You will need two, one for you and one for your buddy. A second set of batteries is also a good idea. When I take people out on the scooters, they say they never want to kick dive again! I love Scooter dives!

I bought a used tekna for $500 to see how I'd like scootering. Scootering is great! I bought a used Mako for $900 and love it. If you can find a good used Mako, that's the way I would go.

Try underwater scooter for search, there was a problem with 3 letter searches, I don't know if its still there. I tried dir and nothing showed up must still be there.

Shaka Doug:
I've attached two together and it's great in the water, but moving them around topside is a chore. The Torpedos are more quiet than the DACOR Seasprint which is another plus for Torpedo. Diving loses some appeal when you make a big commotion down there. You will need two, one for you and one for your buddy. A second set of batteries is also a good idea. When I take people out on the scooters, they say they never want to kick dive again! I love Scooter dives!

Thanks for the useful info Shaka.

Buy a used Mako, you can get two of them for $2000, they will go around 180fsw, they are fast and you can even get an upgrade credit on a Gavin or Silent Submersion with them.

The Apollo Scooter is a great unit and very dependable. We've been beating up one for 6 years now - rental, advanced classes, etc. It goes to the lake almost every weekend and the only thing we've done is change the switch once. Fast, Powerfull, and we sell them in the 1400 range... Tested the seadoo next to it... Joke....

I've used the Seadoo DPV that you can get from Sharper Image in a pool once, it was a prize for a competition and the organizers played with it before giving it away hehe. anyways, it has really slow pick up and isn't that fast, it barely bulled us along and we didn't have any gear on, would be fun for snorkelling but thats about it IMO

Thomas

Back
Top Bottom