aquapix amphib 3.1 mp digital camara

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ba_hiker

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have any knowledge or experience with this camara?

It is somewhat intresting to me, but i don't know much about it. Its intresting because

1) amphib, dosn't need a case and should have less chance of leaking. Has built in color correction and closeup lenses.

2) digital 3.1 mega pixel with all the advantages/disadgantags of that. Uses smart media for storage.

3) Comes as a package with strobe.

4) Accepts MX10 lenses

the down side is it costs about $1200. this really dosn't seem to be that out of line with mid range camara, housing and strobes. Its a lot more than my current canon setup.

what do people think about this camara?

Agree with alcina, for the money, this isn't a good deal.

I know the amphibious aspect is attractive but for that moeny you can get a really nice Olympus or Canon 5MP set-up.

This isn't the same camara as the 'sea and sea dx-3100 aquapix' discussed elsewhere. That seems it has bad pix, does this one too?

The $1200 price is with the strobe, stobe kit (w/ 3 sets of batteries and charger) and an extra lense. The base camara is more like $700. Does this make any diff? btw divers.com is $619 for the camara and $599 for the strobe package total is about $1200. It does not include extra batteries or recharger. I have seen similar prices elsewhere too.

btw, I have the canon setup in a case, as does my sister. She has lost 2 camaras to leaks over 1 1/2 years. I am kinda sloppy about o-rings and things, but sis is very carefull.

thats why the intrest in the amphib.

yes, its pretty clear that its not quite up to standards, picture quality wise. and some of the features don't quite work as well as they should.

an amphb or underwater only camara shold be able to use somewhat less than he 14 o-rings eeded for my current housing. It would make the user interface a bit less convient, but i suspect you could get to 6 and maintain all the functionality. this might cut the chance of flooding in half. of course that assumes that its done right.

i remember, long ago, diving wiht friends that had camaras, one an nikinos II and the other with a housed something... the nikinos diver got pictures, the diver with the housing camara got to repair his camara pretty often. the nikinos did flood once, but the repairs were fast and pretty cheap.

A Nik III, now that's a whole other kettle of fish. I have a friend who loves his and will probably shoot with it until he dies. I know he's flooded it four times and he just smiles. They are a true workhorse.

But you gotta shoot film.

Add digital to the mix and even a minor flood turns your digital into a paperweight :(

Back
Top Bottom