A first

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
We found a Sponge Crab on the YO the other day. It was a first or me...gotta look a bit closer at sponges from now on.
20910P1010162.jpg

20910P1010161.jpg

20910P1010164.jpg

I also posted a couple of pictures in various albums in my gallery...some sites on the Island and stuff like that....

That's cool! You'll have to start noticing of the sponge is walking. :wink:

one recently too! It was near the Benwood Wreck at night. I t'ought I saw a sponge move.... I DID... I did see a sponge move! As I moved in for closer inspection (sanity check) I could just make out the front end of a crab beneath the half-cantelope sized sponge. EUREKA!

He/she hunkered down on the bottom, and the crab was GONE... one of the best disappearing acts I've ever seen! The sponge completely covered the crab. An attempt to gently lift the sponge up for a better look at the critter beneath it proved futile. The little bugger had a rock-solid grip on the bottom.

Beware the moving sponge!

Thanks everybody :D

So true Brent! After we took enough pictures of him and had continued the dive the group that was just behind us wanted to look at him and he was G-O-N-E!

Very cool. I haven't seen one myself. I'll have to look more closely from now on.

They are worth it Dennis...he wasn't skidish and pretty much stayed until we went off....Hope you have some luck!

You sure are finding some neat creatures! I gotta win Lotto so I can give up the day job and go diving more!

Shouldn't complain - did two yesterday...haven't had time to get photos out of camera yet...later this morning.

alcina:
You sure are finding some neat creatures! I gotta win Lotto so I can give up the day job and go diving more!

Shouldn't complain - did two yesterday...haven't had time to get photos out of camera yet...later this morning.

I hear ya....but sadly no lottery in Hawaii :(

Back
Top Bottom