Photoshop is too dark

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DBailey

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I have Photoshop Elements 2.0 installed on my computer. Whenever I open up the picture it is very dark, nothing like it should be. When I view the picture using any other viewer that is on the computer (windows default stuff, etc.), the picture is how I would expect to see it.

I would love to use Photoshop to clean up/crop/etc. the photos, but since they are "darker" I can't be for sure that the changes that I am making are the correct ones.

Any ideas?

I haven't heard of that one with PSE. I would suggest calibrating your monitor but if it looks fine in other programs, that's probably not your problem.

Someone more knowledgeable thank I may be able to tell you about the settings within PSE. That's the only thing I can think of.

Bailey -

My images in PSCS look much darker than they are. It does make correcting things harder, but a little practice should do wonders. You can also lighten the whole image, clean up the backscatter and make minor changes then redarken it. Do a test print or post to see if what you are seeing is what others are seeing...it may not be Elements that is wrong, but your other views!

You do need to make sure your monitor is calibrated and you have the right workspace settings chosen so you can get consistent results.

If anyone else comes across this problem, I solved mine (based on Dee's and alcina's comments)...

While seaching through the computer for old and/or seldom used programs to delete, I came across a program called "Adobe Gamma". Upon running this program, a couple of my monitor settings changed (for the better I might add). The end result is that the photos in Elements now appear how I think they should (i.e. the photos look like they do in other programs).

Now, I don't have to make a change in Adobe then go look at it in another program to see how it came out.

Edit: I wanted to add that the changes made by Adobe Gamma didn't appear to bother the other picture viewing programs.

Hello,

One word, calibration. I recomend the spyder + printfix and your issues will be no more on this subject. The adobe gama is a calibration tool but a very poor job at that and does only one part of the equasion.

Ed

Calibration calibration calibration,

the spyder with colorcal software is very easy to use.

Blacknet, how do you like printfix?

Hello,

I forgot to mention expodisc. that's another must have for digi's.

Ed

black net lol on expo disc thats one that starts them going nuts on dpreview, as some put it thats the most expensive pringles lid i ever bought , im not joking on the quote

but calibration is a must for monitors if your doing color critical work

FWIW

tooth

Hello,

Sure the pringles lid will work, just have to do an adjustment on the blue because it runs on the blue side so take that and put it in blue water, you do the math. Am also told 2 coffee filters will also do the job but for any type of wet enviroment i would not trust that, better go with the expodisc.

Ed

hold on your saying use expodisc underwater ? how do you do that ?

Tooth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom