Farnsworth Bank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alaity47

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm heading out to Farnsworth Bank this Saturday for the first time - anyone been there lately? I'm curious what conditions have been like.

alaity47:
I'm heading out to Farnsworth Bank this Saturday for the first time - anyone been there lately? I'm curious what conditions have been like.
I've never been there, but, if you're on the Great Escape, I'll see you on board!

rickyd:
I've never been there, but, if you're on the Great Escape, I'll see you on board!

Yup, that's the trip! I'll be there with my husband and at least two other folks from the Sole Searchers dive club.

Can't wait. :)

I haven't been there in awhile, but when it's decent conditions I consider it a Magical dive. You decend the anchor line at first wondering why, when a spectacular world appears---canyons with some profuse purple coral. Do keep an eye out to open water--- occassional pelagiacs-- saw a school of tuna, sometimes sunfish. Can be a great dive.
Watch your depth!!

Enjoy diving Farnsworth- it's a magical place, although I haven't been there in many years. I may remedy that on the 13th of this month.

Doc

alaity47:

I went out to the West side of Catalina on the Magician (left from San Pedro) on July 25th. It was about 3 hours to get out there but the diving was absolutely beautiful. First dive we went about 110-115' deep and saw some great sea life. Vis about 30' and mild current.

surface water temp was decent but still around 55 at depth.

Alexandra

Haven't been on Farnsworth since last November, but I was at SBI two weekends ago.
Water was a chilly 51 Suunto degrees below a HARD thermocline at 30ft. Viz was good above the thermocline, but was extremely green and no more than 15-20ft below... still good enough to enjoy Farnsworth, but it will be better with a BIG light... the little halogen lights just won't liven up that green.

I would suspect that Farnsworth conditions would be comparable. I've logged 13 dives on Farnsworth in the last 3 years... in fact, it was my 22nd dive and first below 100ft.
I've dove it in blue and green water, and one evening dive.
I've dove it with no current, and I've dove it with a 2 knot "gale" that required surge-riding methods and where up/downwelling would carry you up and down the wall 15ft (drives the Suunto nuts).
Always a wonderful dive, and I always look forward to going back.

Hey... has anyone found what seems to be fresh water hot springs on the north/west wall? There are many times that I'll be moving along that wall and hit what feels like a thermocline on my face, but is very localized and not a depth separation... more just a spot. At one spot, I suddenly lost buoyancy and dropped (no surge or current, it was an unusually calm day), and it appeared that I was in a mild halocline (salt/fresh mixing).

Well, we didn't get to dive Farnsworth. :( The boat made it out there, but there was already a little boat with 4 freedivers anchored at the pinnacle, who didn't look like they were going anywhere soon. Bummer.

Instead, we dove Pinnacle Rock and Whale Rock. Conditions were fabulous - pretty much like what I'd heard Farnsworth was like. Amazing visibility! Saw some fighting sheephead, and a leopard seal cruised by us. Tons of baby nudibranchs. Definitely very pretty dives overall, even though we're a little disappointed we didn't get to see any Farnsworth hydrocoral. Guess we'll just have to keep trying!

Good luck, Kelpmermaid - report back if you make it. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom