New cert course - recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hlfritz

Registered
Reaction score
Hello!
First, I posted this thread in the New2Scuba forum as well, so if you already responded there, thx!

My girlfriend and I are going to Hawaii in a couple of weeks, we are going to have part of our trip be Open Water certification. I am mostly interested in NAUI, but would easily consider another program based upon shop/instructor recommendations. I have heard it is mostly the instructor that matters...

We are considering Maui or Oahu, Hawaii itself is also not out of the question.

So the question:

Can anyone recommend an instructor or dive shop? I am looking for someone that really cares about teaching, will spend extra time if WE feel it is necessary, and will include all gear in the deal (not super critical)... I am a fast learner and do well studying on my own, my girlfriend does better with immersion and someone pushing her.

Any suggestions folks could make would be awesome as well... Thx.

Helmut

Maui dive shop does great classes and for Big Isle ( way better diving here!) Scuba Shack Too, Big island divers, I hear good thngs about Jacks, are all good to deal with. Enjoy your trip!

Maui Diving Scuba Center in Lahaina is great -- ask for Dan.

You will probably find that if you need more time than allotted, most are willing to accomodate you, but you may have to pay extra.

I also recommend Maui Dreams Dive Co in Kihei, though I haven't had them for instruction their staff is awesome.

Thx folks...

We have decided on Oahu...

Anyone have input on Oahu operations? Especially cert classes?

I have yours Lisa! :)

AAA Diving?
Oahu Dive Center?
Captain Bruce?

Thx in advance.

Helmut

Don't personally know any of the Oahu operators. You might want to make sure that anyone you deal with actually does NAUI classes. Most of what you see over here is PADI, it's only critical if you decide you want to do a referral... a bit of a problem if you start with one certification agency and then can't find anyone to finish the class for you.

Steve

hlfritz:
Thx folks...

We have decided on Oahu...

Anyone have input on Oahu operations? Especially cert classes?

I have yours Lisa! :)

AAA Diving?
Oahu Dive Center?
Captain Bruce?

Thx in advance.

Helmut

Don't get locked into one agency over another. It's way more about the instructor.

Back
Top Bottom