What camera/ gadget bag do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sgj

Registered
Reaction score
Trying to choose something that can lug around the camera gear, including a laptop on those trip outside the US...

I don't have a lap top but I am presently deciding on a hard case for my camera gear for an upcoming trip. I wanted something that qualifies as carry-on.
I use beverage coolers on dive boats for the insulation against heat but want something more durable for general travel.
I decided on the Storm Case, Model iM2400. It is their largest size case that qualifies as carry-on. It does not have wheels but the next sizes up do and require they be checked in as luggage. It is $92.40 with the pluck foam and $79.80 w/o at this dealer.
I can fit two Oly housings in it, my handle/tray/ arm, an Inon D-180 strobe, a WAL and some small miscellaneous stuff

My husband uses a regular Samsonite hard suitcase with wheels, carry on size. He got pick & pluck foam to go in it for his last camera (Nikonos V, 2 strobes, arms, lenses, macro stuff all fit.) He recently went digital and simply wraps everything in bubble wrap and fits it all in that case (Canon Digital Rebel, Aquatica A300 housing, macro port, dome port, 2 strobes, arms, misc. But he doesn't take a laptop, don't think this would work well for that. What he did was buy a CD burner that can burn directly from a memory card, that works out well. Most places there's a TV available to hook up the camera and preview stuff.

Do you mean as carry-on or for checked luggage? If you're checking it, I wouldn't use anything less than a Storm™ or Pelican™ case.

For carry-on, I prefer a backpack. Do a search for Lowepro here and/or on Google for a link to their website. Mine was cheaper in a local photo shop than online.

I'm with Dee. If it is a case that is gonna leave my sight, it is Pelican all the way. I have a couple of smaller cases set up to carry a specific setup - one for a Nikonos V setup and one for my Housed SLR setup. Then I have the big 1650 on wheels for when I am "traveling light" ( :wink: ) with both setups and my video set up (yep, I can get it all in).

My carry-on bag is the Lowepro DryZone backpack because I can get a bunch of stuff in it (2 SLR's with associated lenses, chargers and accessories) and it is completely waterproof - well at least the inner pack is a dry case with a drysuit style zipper system. That way I can use it to safely carry things around on boats and hikes etc. without worrying about accidental falls into water, spray or rain. Not a cheap case, but I am sure glad I got it.

I'd looked at the peli type cases to transport my rig in earlier in the year, but the weight of it made it impractical - almost half my baggage allowance!!

I now use a Lowepro Nature Trekker AW.

Gilligan:
I don't have a lap top but I am presently deciding on a hard case for my camera gear for an upcoming trip. I wanted something that qualifies as carry-on.
I use beverage coolers on dive boats for the insulation against heat but want something more durable for general travel.
I decided on the Storm Case, Model iM2400. It is their largest size case that qualifies as carry-on. It does not have wheels but the next sizes up do and require they be checked in as luggage. It is $92.40 with the pluck foam and $79.80 w/o at this dealer.
I can fit two Oly housings in it, my handle/tray/ arm, an Inon D-180 strobe, a WAL and some small miscellaneous stuff
Gilligan,

If it's not too late - the iM2500 has wheels and is carry-on size.

Randy

Gave up trying to carry-on all the camera gear. Pretty much all that's carried on is my mask, reg, dive computer, film and laptop. There's too much stuff for a housed camera, anyway.

I'd rather make sure I can dive safely when I get there.

All the camera gear is packed into Hardigg cases. These have as much protection as Pelican (maybe more), with about half the weight. Each case contains a complete, divable system, hits the scales at just under 50 lbs.

All the best, James

Randyp1234:
Gilligan,

If it's not too late - the iM2500 has wheels and is carry-on size.

Randy

Thanks Randy. I haven't ordered it yet. Not sure I want the wheels. Still debating.

Gilligan:
Thanks Randy. I haven't ordered it yet. Not sure I want the wheels. Still debating.
FWIW - No matter what you decide, check EBay. When I got mine a few months ago I looked there and I think I came across a guy that was exploring doing an EBay store. He was from a regular web site that sold cases and he had one of each Storm case going real cheap. I think I got the 2500 for around $90. There’s also www.cases4less.com

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom