Warning: open water!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sessions

Contributor
Reaction score
Well, I made the ultimate msitake today....I took my wife to see open water. I have been talking her into getting certified, so she can dive with me. I have been making headway...until we went to the movies today....what an idiot? The movie isnt that disturbing, for anyone who has dove around sharks....but for her, it has pretty much closed the "let's get her certified door". A bit of advice....dont take someone who you want to get certified later! :11:

Glad you copped it first and posted the warning...I was planning on taking my wife....
Thanks for the "heads up"

Thanks for the warning. I just saw a commercial for it today for the first time on TV.

Well, you could rent the Abyss and laugh the entire time... Maybe that'd settle things down.

Did you point out the movie is low budget and no stunt dubbles or rubber sharks were used. They were in the water the entire time the movie was being shot with the real thing. The only fake was the "end". That should illistrate that sharkes are not a problem.

pasley:
Did you point out the movie is low budget and no stunt dubbles or rubber sharks were used. They were in the water the entire time the movie was being shot with the real thing. The only fake was the "end". That should illistrate that sharkes are not a problem.

Excellent point!!! My wife is recently certified, and the commercials nearly pulled her from the water. I was not aware of how the movie was filmed. Good to know.

THANKS!

Just explain to her that there are many divers that actually PAY MONEY to dive with sharks!! None of them have been eaten...

BTW how was the movie, Give us your review...

Saw this movie yesterday. Tell her how unrealistic it is and that none of this movie is true after they entered the water. The rest is just speculation and Hollywood dramatics. Look up the actually events.
It was a total waste of time and money. If you've seen the trailers, then you've seen the best parts of the movie.

My fiancee looked sideways at me when we saw the trailer, and asked me if I was trying to kill him. I think we'll skip it till after he gets his OW.

Global stats on shark attacks confirm that swimming, wading, snorkeling, and surfing are dangerous in terms of shark attack. SCUBA is not on the menu so to speak. Last year a recent article sited only one shark attack on a SCUBA diver and he had a game fish he had just killed. In 2002, the figure was 2 divers. One was a shark diver operator who hand feeds the shaks while his customers watch. Well, he, ah, er, well… he hand fed the shark. The other SCUBA diver had his leg bitten as the shark tried to get at the game fish he had killed.

Bottom line, don't act like a seal and thrash around on the surface and you most likely will be fine. On the very rare occasions I have seen a shark (blue shark) it was a beautiful experience and one to be enjoyed, not feared. I dive Southern California and have yet to see a Great White. They inhabit our waters and give birth here. Of all the divers I know, only one has reported a sighting while diving. That was in Malibu last year with 15 to 20 foot visibility and it was a baby Great White he saw at only 10 feet length and at 15 foot range. He is still in one piece and reports wetsuits are rather easy to clean.

Statistically, in the world most shark attacks occur in Florida in one county, so don't wade in the waters of this one county.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom