Hawaii sites for beginners

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wsugoalie

Registered
Reaction score
My fiance and I are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon and would like to do some diving. We are both very new to the sport and therefore want to stick to more conservative dives. Does anybody have suggestions for shallower sites with practically no current in Hawaii?? We would love to see as many fish as possible :crafty:

Thanks in advance!!

Questions:
1. Where in Hawaii (which island)?
2. What time of year?

We need to know where and when you are going to hawaii...

There are lots of places that will meet your needs. For example on Oahu Angler's Reef or Turtle Canyon...

wsugoalie:
My fiance and I are going to Hawaii for our honeymoon and would like to do some diving. We are both very new to the sport and therefore want to stick to more conservative dives. Does anybody have suggestions for shallower sites with practically no current in Hawaii?? We would love to see as many fish as possible :crafty:

Thanks in advance!!
If it is Maui you are headed to then inside Molikini crater is quite nice. You will not have any difficulty finding an operator who heads to this area so long as you depart from the Kiehi area. You will probably want to stay away from the back wall of Molikini until you are more comfortable, but inside the crater is really easy.

Ed Robinsons Diving Adventures is arguably the best dive operator on the island, however they tend to cater to more experienced divers. If you give them a call and explain your experience level and interests they could either reccomend another operator or perhaps find a place for you on one of their boats that has divers of similar experience (if they are not booked with more experienced divers already).

Whatever island you are going to, the water is warm and clear... you will have a great time!

Mark Vlahos

wsugoalie:
We are going in July to Maui, Kauai, the Big Island, and Oahau.
Koloa Landing is a great beginners site on Kauai.

James

Mile marker 4 on Alii Drive is a good beginner's site for the Big Island, Kona side.

Place of Refuge (aka "2 Step") is another good choice.

Congratulations, and enjoy your time in Hawaii!

Plenty of time till then :D That time of the year the conditions are pretty much the best, although you can never guarantee.

On Maui there are a lot of very safe easy dive spots. Ulua beach is very user friendly as in airport beach further north. Instructors use these beaches on a regular basis.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom