Grand Turk Island trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaBurt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We just returned from a wonderful return trip to Grand Turk Island. We flew American Airlines from Raleigh/Durham NC, to Miami, to Providenciales, and Sky King Airlines to Grand Turk. Had no trouble with carrying Regs, Camera and Strobe through security. They seemed to know what they were and only gave them a glance during inspection. My advice to anyone flying, get there early. We had a 6:15 am flight and were told to be at the check-in counter at 4:30 (The real problem was getting Flo out of the bed at 3:30 to get ready). We were checked in and through security in about 40 minutes. Inspection is based on random selection at the security checkpoints. The security agent that inspected our bags at the first security point said by noon the day before, there was a 2 1/2 hour wait to get through security. As the day and flights increase so do the lines and wait time. The next inspection came as we gave our boarding passes at the gate. Selected patrons were again wanded and bags inspected before entering the jet way onto the plane. This random inspection at the jet way happened at each airport including Provo. I did not see anyone complaining about the security inspections and it definitely made us feel safer.
We stayed at the Arawak Inn on Grand Turk. If anyone has stayed there before, it has gone through a total restoration. Everything is new; flooring, appliances, bathroom, and furniture. The grounds have been landscaped, new pool, and a very nice bar and restaurant. They also have a beautiful beach and a dive site just off shore. I highly recommend the Inn. It is located on the south end of the island so we rented a car for the week instead of taking a taxi into town.
We dove with Oasis Divers, owned by Dale and Everette, controlled by Riley their 10 month son (Riley already has his own wetsuits, definitely going to be a diver). Paul Dickerson was our DM. He really knows the dive sites and dives an excellent profile. The walls and reefs on GT are awesome. You have to really watch your depth gauge because the water is so clear and the walls just go down forever. The humpback whales were migrating, but not close enough in for us to see or snorkel with them. Definitely heard the whale songs, both mother and baby. Makes you feel very relaxed just hearing their beautiful songs. Had a pod of bottlenose dolphins’ cruise past the dive boat just as we were leaving the beach area. Before we could get mask and fins on, they swam around and under the boat and then they were gone. Man, are they fast and beautiful. We dove 10 dives in 7 days with 32 %Nitrox, boats are 24’ Carolina Skiffs and a max of 6 divers. Oasis is a very professional dive operation. They pump Nitrox (32%) and have Rebreathers.
The island itself is very relaxed. It is British, which means you drive on the left side of the road. The locals are very friendly. They have yet to become a commercialized tourist money trap. It is a wonderful feeling when the hand extended to you wants to shake yours and not just wanting you to put money into it.
The GT government and Holland America Cruise Line are lobbying to get cruise ships to come to GT. I think this will destroy reefs and marine life as well as the culture of the locals. There are already discussions about the shops that will replace the beautiful old structures that make up Front Street. The government wants everyone to believe that the cruise ships will bring megabucks to the island. They play down the major expenses required to create the environment that will attract the cruise patrons. They forget that a visitor that stays on the island for a week will spend money on airfare, lodging, food, diving and other things that generate jobs for the locals.
Well, I guess you know where I stand on this subject. :flame: Sorry for the soap box.
If you want wonderful diving, great food, friendly locals, and a very relaxed vacation,
GO TO GRAND TURK.:clapping:

Hi ScubaBurt,

Read with great interest your trip report. Could you answer a few questions? What is the flight time from Provo to Grand Turk. Does Sky King have a baggage wt. limit. Does the Arawak have onsite restraunt. Will Oasis divers pick up from the Inn? Thank you for any info. This is a short version of an earlier reply that got lost in CYBER HELL!

ps, I'
m an extremely slow typist so you know that one hurt.

Hello ScubaBear,
Glad to hear you are interested in going to Grand Turk. In answer to your questions.
The flight time from Provo to GT is 15-20 minutes. We flew with Turks & Caicos Airways in 1998 and with SkyKing Airline this past trip. I highly reccommend SkyKing. The planes are larger and TCA has limited flight times. We were told by SkyKing agents that TCA didn't fly very much anymore.
Both have a 44 lb weight limit, each passenger, for ALL baggage(including carryon). We had a combined weight of 194 lbs, with all our gear(2 people) etc, and it cost us $32 US(Very reasonable). The same baggage cost us $30 US on the return trip, go figure.
Arawak does indeed have a very nice bar and restaurant on site. The food is as good as any place on the island. If you are interested you can get an all inclusive there. We didn't get it because we enjoy trying different places on the island and meeting the locals. Just for info, most the restaurants will run about an average of $10-$20 US per person for meals. You can spend more of course, but this is a good average. Most restaurants serve seafood, chicken, beef and/or pork. If you want some additional info on restaurants let me know.
The inn itself has just been completely renovated. It is the nicest place on the island. It is like a small apartment, lots of room and very comfortable. It is on the south end of the island and a little ways from town, remember the whole island is only 7 miles long and 1.5 miles wide, so a little ways is only 5 minutes @ 25-40 mph.
Oasis will indeed pick you up at the inn. We rented a car so we could go to the grocery store, restaurants, bakery, and tour island. We drove to the shop each day. Your choice.
I take it you have not been to GT before. If you decide to go you are in for a real treat. The diving is wonderful. Healthy reef, beautiful walls, nice easy diving. Paul was our dive master and I highly suggest you ask for him. You won't be sorry.
Let me know if you need more info. You can email me: ScubaBurt@msn.com or post here.
Burt

Thank you for your quick response. Actually we went to Grand Turk some years ago, we stayed at the sitting pretty motel and dove with Sea Eye. Walked into town to visit museum also took bike ride to lighthouse. I agree with you on the diving and the people. This should work out well as that side of the island we did not visit. Though I think we passed by the Arawak on our way to a b-b-q on Gibbs cay. When we flew it was with Lynx air out of Ft. Laud. NEVER AGAIN! 3 and one half hours to GT.

Hey ScubaBear,
We were there in Dec 98' and it has changed very little. Oasis Divers is just up from Sea Eye, almost across from the Waters' Edge Restaurant. When you went to Gibbs Cay you would have passed by Arawak. The Sitting Pretty is now the Osprey Beach Hotel. While we were there we toured the deluxe suite at Osprey. There is no comparison to the rooms at Arawak. The only benefit for Osprey is being close to town. Like I said, we rented a car so that was not a concern. There is a special Grand Opening rate for Arawak Inn through Oasis Divers. Check out http://www.oasisdivers.com/specials.html. Sound like a great deal. If you go and want to rent a car, Austin Dickerson(was a Dive Master at Oasis) has started a car rental business. You can set it up through Oasis Divers.
When are you thinking about going? Sure do envy you. The kitchen in the Arawak is complete so you may want to know about the grocery store(Sarah's(best), Dot's or Sees(bulk goods), or Mitch's(sp) Bakery(fresh baked each day). Restaurants: Arawak Inn, Turks Head Inn(BBQ on Friday Night), Salt Raker, Courtyard, Regal Beagle(local) and Mookie Pookie Pizza Palace(local and they deliver the pizza for $3 extra, even to Arawak. We usually ate lite breakfast; fruit, ceral, etc. and ate lunch and/or dinner out.
Man what a nice place to relax and dive.

Burt

Sounds like a great trip. Thanks for the report!
You've got me wishing I hadn't put off my spring dive trip this year.

Did you take any pictures?

Hi Tavi,
Yes, It was a wonderful trip. Just not quite long enough(I really don't know how long enough would be). Sorry, you had to put off your spring trip this year. This trip was a fall trip postponed from September by the WTC Attack. We did take alot of pictures, however I don't know how to post them for all to see. Any suggestions. I had a time getting Flo and I on the profile photo. Any help posting my dive pictures would be appreciated.

Burt

Most of the Internet Service Providers, eg. MSN, Yahoo.etc offer free web space where anyone can build a website. It's really easy with their step by step instructions. I built my first one when I was still quite computer illiterate. Then with a scanner or your pics on disc it's easy to upload them to your site, just follow the online dirrections.

Take a look at Msn communities, or Yahoo Geocities. There are others too.

Hope this helps.

Dear Burt,

You had asked about posting pictures. No need to set up a webpage. Just go to "ofoto.com" and sign up. They let you upload your pictures into "photo albums" and then you can send the link to whomever you want.

I've used it for both dive pics and above ground pics. All my friends and family have been pleased with it. Give it a try!

Tricia

p.s. I'm glad you had a great time at Grand Turk. I made the mistake last fall of only diving in Grace Bay, as I had been there before in 1991, when it was wonderful. Now the beach is overdeveloped and the diving is much poorer. Very sad...

Back
Top Bottom