Fingers and Ferry and Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Uncle Pug

Swims with Orca
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
It is neap tide time and Saturday Puget Sound was beautiful and sunny. Shane and I met Jock at Mukilteo to launch Jock's 24' RIB. >15 minutes after launching we were at the South end of Whidbey Island getting ready to anchor on the sand ledge above the dive site know as the Fingers.

The Fingers is a wall dive with limitless bottom for all practical purposes though the major structure is from 30' to 100'. There undercuts and cavelets on the face of the wall are home to a lot of creatures including GPO. We also saw a wolfeel and two very large Cabezon. Rock fish were everywhere as were schools of shiner perch and baitfish. One of my favorite parts of this dive was the time spent in 30' over a field of orange Sea Pens surrounded by shiner perch and bait fish.

The current can be a challenge at the Fingers but Saturday with the neap tides it was slack everywhere. But the best part was the tropical quality viz!!! It was just outstanding. Often during the summer months we have thick 10' deep plankton blooms filtering out the sunlight but not Saturday. The viz was a good 60'~70' with a lot of light at 100'.

The next dive was the Possession Head Ferry... a wooden structure that while breaking up badly and dangerous underneath the overhangs is still interesting structurally (engines, ect.) and has matured as an eco system to the point it is covered with life. Huge ling cod patrol the bowels while white and orange plumose anenomies cover the upper surfaces. Viz was excellent here as well. Outside the wreck we found a medium sized (~35#) GPO out in the open and were able to interact with it for a while.

Sunday afternoon we repeated the Fingers dive but the current was moving along at a good clip near the surface and the viz had begun to drop... still excellent for Puget Sound but not as good as the previous day.

After the Fingers we motored over to Hat Island to do the South end reef system. The wind was picking up out of the Northwest and a small chop was setting up. Still we made the dive, again spotting GPO and the usual denizens.

Saturday
100' max 70 minute (wall dive unlimited bottom)
2 hour SI
77' max 63 minute (wreck dive with hard bottom 80')

Sunday
101' max 50 minute (wall dive unlimited bottom)
2 hour SI
48' max 50 minute (reef dive with hard bottom 50')

All dives were multileveled using EAN32.

Here is portion of the chart that shows the Fingers and the Ferry. The Fingers are represented by the convoluted lines on the Southeast end of Possession Point and the Ferry is show as a blue box labelled Fish Haven. The chart shows bouys on each end of the Ferry but they have been gone for many years. Depths are in fathoms... which means it is ~600' deep at the bottom of the Fingers.

Well all summer long we have been calling it The Whaler. I fear that is going to end up being the default name since I still haven't prevailed in the negotiations over PB4 or variants thereof.

Hey, I think I saw you at the boat launch. I was in a 24' bayliner. We had a good dive on the fingers and on Camano Island wall. Sunday we hit Sares head for a Tech 1 dive. It was good.

Welcome back (thought you still gone)!
I was in town Sat, Sun & Mon. Did 8 dives. GREAT dive at Edmond's Oil Doc on Sunday with NOBODY THERE for the first dive, lots of life, almost no current and 35' vis! Oh, and perfect blue Skies and 80 degrees. A few more divers on the second dive, but only saw 2 underwater.
Then a great sunset dive at the T docs with Bob L. Down to see the octo under the boat, with a good 30' + vis at depth. Came up to fire red/orange ribbons set in a turquoise sky. Doesn't get better than this. Even the oysters at Ivan's tasted like magic.

jeffkruse2000:
Hey, I think I saw you at the boat launch.
But I missed seeing you.... you should have thrown something at us to get our attention. :D

Rick.... sorry I didn't know you were over here... we were looking for a fourth diver for Saturday.

Uncle Pug:
we were looking for a fourth diver for Saturday.

Someone to row :11: .
I'll absolutly hold you to a rain check.

Uncle Pug:
But I missed seeing you.... you should have thrown something at us to get our attention. :D

Rick.... sorry I didn't know you were over here... we were looking for a fourth diver for Saturday.

Wow ... Jock, those are some interesting tank holders you've got on the back of that boat! I'll bet they hold your 130's nicely ...

:eyebrow:

Sorry I missed all you guys.

Saturday we were doing an AOW class (from which Bob L. left in a hurry to go meet up with Rick).

Sunday, Jimmie and I consoled ourselves ... we were planning to do the Diamond Knot, but the boat we were scheduled on blew an engine on Saturday, and so our dives were cancelled. I still haven't managed to get out to "the Knot", and it's high on my list of places to go. So our consolation dive was Mukilteo ... to burn up one of the EAN30 cylinders we'd been planning to use on the Knot. We had a nice, long dive ... 82 minutes, to a max depth of 120 fsw (avg. 52) ... vis was variable, but excellent at depth.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom